Already bought a bike, but...

diamondbacker
diamondbacker Posts: 224
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi, I'm very new to this MTB lark particularly as I'm 31 (too old?) and have bought a bike almost on a whim. I was after a relatively cheap bike and having looked at the halfords cheapies quickly decided a better second hand one would be a better bet.

Anyway, I bought a Diamondback s20 (about 2 or 3 years old) and quite enjoy it. However I'm not sure how good/bad a bike this is for a beginner as reviews seem to be thin and far between. I paid £100 and despite a few scratches (to be expected) it works great.

Also, my wifes thinking of joining me so we are after a new bike. Second hand maybe an option again but Muddyfox seem to have bikes (hardtails for around the £200 mark) that are tempting. Is there any reason not to get one or are they ok? The carrera bikes also seem quite tempting (despite the service/staff/reputation).

I really am enjoying myself on the bike so hopefully this will be the start of an enjoyable activity for years to come.
Thanks for any help and advice

Comments

• noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Its been said before and often started arguments, but if your buying new and want a bike capable of proper off road riding, you want to be spending around £500.00 as this will give you (your wife) a bike thats up to the job and will last more than five minutes. Thats presuming you are actually going to be using the bike as it's intended to be used. However if it's just cycle paths and canal paths your wife will be riding then get her a cheapie and maybe spend more if she really gets into it and fancies proper off road riding, thats what i did and my wife now loves her bike and appreciates it's quality over her first bike.
    Sorry about your bike as i dont know anything about it. As for being to old, i would say never to old, i'm 36 now and although i've always kept fit, as i run a lot, i have been mountain biking for about 12 years and love it. Often see people older than me, so reckon i've got a few years left in me yet :wink:
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I'm 31 (too old?)

Crazy, myself and the missus are 28, we go riding with the locals around here quite often and we're virtually the youngest ones there. I'd say mid to late 30s, early 40s is about average. Being older has it's benefits with cycling, your metabolism will be nicely slowed down so you can go for miles.

Your bike's definitely enough to get started on, low end full suspensions are normally warned against though as they come in a lot heavier and the suspension isn't terribly effective. I'd avoid the pretty looking suspension and get something more like a Carrera Vulcan if your budget goes that far. Sub about £200 the bikes you get aren't really designed for off road, they're more like hybrid commuter types.

Decathlon do some good cheap mountain bikes too if you have one close, Rockrider 5.2.
  • diamondbacker
    diamondbacker Posts: 224
    Thanks for the advice. To be honest my wifes bike will probably be used on dirt tracks and not much else. But, I would pass my Diamondback to her and would buy a new bike for myself. The Carrera and Rockrider look great bikes and I'd be happy to pay around that for a decent starter bike.

I'm hoping to use the bike as intended and have already found a decent track near where I live (Beamish, Pelton, Chester-le-streeet area). Also I've heard that there's a decent MTB club nearby (Beamish Oddsox) which I'll hopefully be able to get a few rides with.
  • Hi, I'm very new to this MTB lark particularly as I'm 31 (too old?)

As if

I only started last year, when I was 33. Best decision I ever made. Although the wife isn't interested in joining me!!

Just wish I had got into it sooner.
  • krazykayaker
    krazykayaker Posts: 109
    I started about 6 weeks ago, and i'm 35!!

i've lost a stone in weight since starting as well!!
    On One Inbred 456
    On One Inbred SS
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    In 6 weeks? Jaysus, how many times a week do you go out? :lol:
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04