Decided - MTB for Touring

brighton-biker
brighton-biker Posts: 31
edited May 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hey all

I am looking to do a 1000 - 1500 mile road tour this summer, covering between 50 and 100 miles a day.

I currently own both a road bike and a hard tail MTB and am trying to decide which is more suitable for the task.

Road bike : Giant SCR 3.0 2007
MTB: Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2008

Either choice would require modifications to make it more suitable for long distance touring:

Road bike is already fast but not that comfortable so would would require riser stem and wider tires to make this kind of ride comfortable.

MTB already has comfort, with a more relaxed riding posture, but would require slick tires and possibly a rigid fork if i wanted to reduce weight and increase speed further.

I have read a lot of information online about making a tourer out of a mountain bike, but very little about using a light weight road bike for the purpose.

I don't know the exact nature of the tour yet (camping/hosteling etc) so baggage quantities are currently unknown, but having made any modifications, a maximum baggage allowance is preferable. Both bikes have rack mounts at the back (i think), but front racks on a suspension fork? a no-no? Go for a rigid fork with rack mounts?

So touring guys and girls, any ideas? I want to start the modifications as soon as i can but just can't decide which bike to use!

Any thoughts welcomed gratefully :)

James
Wanna go for a ride? :)

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Rear panniers plus a rack bag and maybe a bar bag should provide plenty enough capacity for a camping tour so I wouldn't worry about front panniers. If the tour is particularly mountainous then go for the Rockhopper, otherwise my choice would be the SCR3 with an upgraded rear wheel - something like a Mavic A719 or Rigida Sputnik. I did a short camping tour a couple of years back in Scotland with my Giant SCR2 and had no problems. Even managed the Bealach na ba, so the gearing is low enough for most terrain.

If you opt for a hosteling/B&B tour then ditch the panniers and get a large rack bag instead - something like an Agu Yamaska 475 - and a bar bag. That'd give you enough capacity for the essentials, but it'd still feel almost like an unladen bike so you can go faster and/or further.
    More problems but still living....
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    You probably don't need front racks, but Axiom do one available from CRC. It's a low-rider so might be a bit low off-road. Tubus also have one coming out soon that mounts to the v-brake mounts in the forks (assuming you have any) but whether they get it out in time for your tour is another matter.

If you do manage to get your kit down to very little then the lightest option is a dry bag from Alpkit and a bungee cord.

Rigida Sputniks are pretty sturdy rims!
  • As others have said, I can't see why you'd need front panniers even if camping. Personally, I'd go for the MTB with slicks - if you're pulling panniers with camping gear up some long hills, the lower gears will come in handy. I hardly used the big ring on my Tricross (which has a road chainset and MTB cassette) when touring, certainly used the granny though. I would also suspect that the MTB will have longer wheelbase and chainstays so the handling won't be so affected as it would be on a road bike?
  • Thanks for the input!

Amaferanga, you are undoubtedly correct about requiring a stronger rear wheel. I don't see how an entry level light road "racing" wheel would survive very well on a laden bike.

Online sources confirm this, and say that many mechanical problems whilst on tour are wheel related.

I'm scrapping the idea of front racks completely as it seems i really wont need them! Yay!

stuck on a giant, the wheelbase does look slightly longer, but the chain stays look about the same. I feel the gearing on the MTB would be more suitable, as i only "spin out" at over 30 mph, and the low end is a LOT lower!

I have decided on using the MTB with slicks. The only disadvantage i can see is the less aerodynamic position meaning lower speed. In terms of comfort and durability, the MTB wins.

Have just ordered some Marathon Slicks as they seem to be nice and speedy, although a little on the heavy side.

Cheers for the help :)
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    This guy Ed Keith (Brit) is cycling around the world on a Giant. He has just left Dahab. Pic of his bike further down this page and the next loaded and unloaded. There are also other pics of his bike earlier on in his travelogue.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page ... 109203&v=t
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • BB - aerodynamics are not really an issue when touring - if only!
    Our average speed was 10mph, some claim 12mph, either way, wind resistance is not the biggest concern.
    Touring (IMO) is a completely different mindset from, say, sportives. Enjoy the scenery, stopping where you like etc. For me, it's not about covering as many miles as possible. If that is what you're after, pack 1 change of clothes in a seatpack and ride your road bike!
    Whatever you do, make sure it's what you want to do, make it enjoyable, not an ordeal!
  • After doing lots more reading about peoples touring experiences ( www.crazyguyonabike.com is great!), i can really see where you're coming from SoaG.

"Whatever you do, make sure it's what you want to do, make it enjoyable, not an ordeal!"

Good Point!

I can imagine road bike geometry helping to keep the speed a little higher with less effort in high headwinds though! Not that it is all about speed or distance for me, but i do like a physical/mental challenge as well as scenery and nice places.

I am touring with my friend who is doing it on a "real" touring bike, and has toured before.

Will post some nice piccys of the beast ready to rock when my tires and panniers arrive :)
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    Vélocio wrote (about a century ago) that the most important thing if you want to cycle far and with a good average speed is to be comfortable on your bike (more important than race-bike efficiency and skinny tyres; he used to argue the point with Desgranges).
    I converted my mtb in january in view of a tour in Snowdonia with some french clubmates in september and am using it on (touring) club rides alongside guys with the fancy carbon stuff. The only limit is my fitness; they can shed me uphill but then they always could. On the flat there is nothing in it and I'm more comfortable than on my road bike.
    My spec: rigid fork (a Fireeye Stoker, made for stunts and much too heavy, but very rigid)
    1.5 Panaracer Pasela Tourguard tyres (the rigid bead version). One of my mates reckons that the sidewalls are too flimsy for touring, another was advised to fit them in place of his Schwalb Marathons. They feel very light and very quick.
    Brooks B17 saddle,very old and tatty but comfortable.
    Carradice Camper Longflap saddlebag with a home-made support ro keep it off the rear wheel.
    The rest of the kit is nothing special, budget Chain Reaction frame, cheap v-brakes, 8sp mtb cassette and 22-42 triple chainset (gives the equivalent of 50/14 on a 700 wheel). The weight is about the same as a "proper" tourer with similar carrying capacity.

Have a good tour. Cheers Jo
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    As others have said, I can't see why you'd need front panniers even if camping.
    Because you can't fit all your stuff just in the rears?

If you've bought a warm, cheapish sleeping bag, that can just about fill a rear pannier on its own. Add in a closed cell foam mat (karrimat) and a fairly basic tent, and that will use all the available space on top of the rack.
    Decent (ie compact and light) camping gear costs a significant amount.
  • andymiller
    edited May 2009
    andrew_s wrote:
    Decent (ie compact and light) camping gear costs a significant amount.

Well yes, but you could also spend a significant chunk of change on front pannniers and a front rack (and the original poster was also talking about changing the forks as well).

When I said you probably don't need front panniers perhaps I should have said - you can get by without them - lots of people do.
  • gpsBRM
    gpsBRM Posts: 123
    There are other places to store things apart from paniers and rack. I mount my tent in the main traingle of the bike under the top tube. Its quite a small tent (TNF Tadpole23) plus the bike is XL. Have no issues with knees hitting it etc.

I run a pair of Altura Dryline 56 Paniers and an Altura Arran Bar Bag. Mount my sleeping back in a waterproof bag on top of the rack with bungeys. Easily enough space for a weeks gear, plus half the girlfriends stuff!

Go with the MTB if you find it more comfortable.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    This guy Ed Keith (Brit) is cycling around the world on a Giant. He has just left Dahab. Pic of his bike further down this page and the next loaded and unloaded. There are also other pics of his bike earlier on in his travelogue.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page ... 109203&v=t

Actually, his name is Keith Hallagan - the Ed is for Edinburgh. I know this because he's my landlord! Great guy too...

You can tour on pretty much anything so long as it's solid enough. But if you're taking the mountain bike I'd seriously consider swapping to rigid forks, and give some thought to your hand positions. A butterfly bar gives a lot more positions, or something like Ergon grips with bar ends on your existing bars. Spending hours in the saddle means switching hand positions becomes a good idea to relieve the pressure on them! Tyres will make the biggest difference to your speed - I personally recommend Schwalbe Marathon Supremes (which is what Keith is using). Fast rolling, tough, light and wear well.

In terms of carrying gear, keep the heavy stuff low down. I toured last year with rear panniers and a tent on top of the rack. This was an error as the weight that high up made it difficult to get out of the saddle, which on long climbs it is nice to do, if just to use different muscles.

The most important thing, though, is to test your set up with one or two long rides to iron out any niggles, as it will be a lot harder to do this once you're on tour.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Thanks for all the advice people!

I have a mid range lightweight sleeping bag which is very compactable. I also already have a relatively lightweight roll mat (just the basic foam kind - but a little thicker than most). I will also be carrying half of a two/three man tent.

I was hoping to have these three items on top of the rear rack, and have almost all my other stuff in the rear panniers, heaviest at the bottom (cheers AidenR!).

Front panniers would be useful, and would help balance the bike a bit, but would mean investing in either a suspension fork mountable rack, or a new fork and regular rack. I think for this (my first long distance tour) i will try to wing it with just the rear rack and panniers i have already bought. The front fork has a lockout, so it wont be sucking up my energy too badly!

As for handlebars, i have riser bars and cane creek ergo grip bar ends. I have done several 8-10 hour off road mtb rides and never have had any issues with my hands (only minor pain in my wrists after some majorly fast rocky/gravely downhills on the south downs way) I switch possition often and find that the angle of my wrists on the bar ends is perfect a lot of the time for when riding on the road.

In terms of testing the setup(and preparing my bum!) i will be doing a few full day rides, and a short (2-3 day) tour before the main tour.

BB :)
  • andymiller
    As for handlebars, i have riser bars and cane creek ergo grip bar ends. I have done several 8-10 hour off road mtb rides and never have had any issues with my hands (only minor pain in my wrists after some majorly fast rocky/gravely downhills on the south downs way) I switch possition often and find that the angle of my wrists on the bar ends is perfect a lot of the time for when riding on the road.

There is a difference between an all-day ride and riding all-day every day for an extended period: last time I found I was getting aches and pains by about the fourth week (I made the mistake of not having bar ends). But I don't think there's a lot more you can do other than put on a decent set of bar ends.
  • flester
    flester Posts: 464
    As someone who has done many short tours on a variety of bikes, may I just add that I am very envious that you are going to do a "1000 - 1500 mile road tour this summer, covering between 50 and 100 miles a day"

Enjoy it!

And I recommend you come to Ireland for part of your tour if it fits your plan

'I do not believe in the three-speed gear at all', the sergeant was saying. 'It is a newfangled instrument, it crucificies the legs, the half of the accidents are due to it.' (From 'The Third Policeman')
  • "There is a difference between an all-day ride and riding all-day every day for an extended period"

This makes a lot of sense. I hope i don't get any horrible pains too early!

Thank you Flester - I am a little apprehensive but also super excited at the prospect.

Location details are currently still undecided so Ireland may well be a possibility. The cycling good over there?
  • flester
    flester Posts: 464
    Is the cycling good here? hmmm...
    Plenty of very spectacular routes, most people would agree that the coastal areas are best. Have a look at www.bikely.com for some ideas. Shortest sea crossing woudl be Larne-Stranraer but I don't know the northern area at all.
    Plenty of back roads though they might not be as well kept as those in the UK (which is both good and bad). Driver awareness I'd say is similar to the UK...

'I do not believe in the three-speed gear at all', the sergeant was saying. 'It is a newfangled instrument, it crucificies the legs, the half of the accidents are due to it.' (From 'The Third Policeman')
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    At one time all our main holidays consisted of cycle camping in either the Pyrenees or the Alps. We used standard Mercian KoM touring bikes with brazed on carrier lugs on both forks and seat stays. Always had drop handlebars with non-indexed down tube shifters. We've ridden many of the Tour cols with that set up as well as mild rough stuff. We've covered quite big distances; up to 130 miles in one memorable blast across Northern Spain to get back to Santander for the ferry home. I was knackered but my wife was much better.

We always favoured both front and rear panniers mainly because of better weight distribution. We had to keep the weight down as we often flew to start the tour.

Comfort and adequate gearing is everything. Speed and range come with fitness, not a fancy bike. Ours were the same ones we used daily for commuting and therefore well-sorted. Fantastic and memorable holidays - strongly recommended.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster