CERA retests for 08 Giro

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited August 2009 in Pro race
Holy Moly, can't believe I slept on this one

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Gir ... 82205.html

Probably only end up being Ricco and Sella but still...
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    Why just Ricco and Sella? Given it was assumed there was no test for it I'd imagine that quite a few additional riders are tranquillo on hearing this news.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Zomegnan also revealed that Italian police have seized samples taken during the 2008 Giro to test them for CERA
    I'd heard this had happened a long time ago, following the scandals with Ricco and Sella. In other words that the samples had been preserved by the police but apparently there is no date to test them.

The police are leaving this "sword of Damocles" hanging over the sport and the UCI should be demanding they test quickly. Of course though, UCI boss McQuaid said he didn't want to retest in case it made "race organisers to re-jig the podium".

If this has changed, great. I think a few more big names will be caught.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Wow, didnt think this would happen. The Giro's organisers not doing any retests before suggests that they had something to hide. It looks like Ricco and Sella would both have to be taken out - was that enough to justify the secrecy? Seems like there may be a few more caught to me. May well partly depend on who they have samples from, ie if you finish 5th, 8th on quite a lot of stages but never higher then would you have been tested at all?

Wonder if there are going to be any last-minute withdrawals :?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    One thing's for sure, the pink jersey wearers will be tested. VDV, Pellizotti, Visconti, Boisisio and of course, Contador.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Does this action send a moral message to McQuaid, about not sitting on his hands?
    Maybe it's Italian payback for Spanish indifference to it's OP involved riders?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    Apparantly the samples are being tested now in LNDD.

So it could be carnage during the Giro if the results come back.
  • The Prodigy
    The Prodigy Posts: 832
    I can't help but think that a year on is too little too late
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    they should have got it sorted and tested them before 100th giro started :roll:
  • The Prodigy
    The Prodigy Posts: 832
    JC.152 wrote:
    they should have got it sorted and tested them before 100th giro started :roll:

Every Grand Tour has this kind of crap hanging over it
  • iainf72
    It appears Sella told CONI who else was using it so that's what prompted the retests.
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Several weeks have passed now (and assuming AFLD are gearing up for the TdF) do you think we can expect results on the 08 Giro samples before the Tour kicks off?
  • hommelbier wrote:
    Several weeks have passed now (and assuming AFLD are gearing up for the TdF) do you think we can expect results on the 08 Giro samples before the Tour kicks off?

Wouldn't be a shock if that happened. We've seen the pre-tour scenario before. Become soooo predictable.
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    Great news I think
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    "Now the UCI has indicated that if those (Italian) authorities don’t retest the samples, it will try to do so".

Is the UCI turning over a new leaf at last and becoming proactive?? Guess we will have to wait and see. :roll:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-wants-2008-giro-samples-re-tested-for-cera
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    hommelbier wrote:
    "Now the UCI has indicated that if those (Italian) authorities don’t retest the samples, it will try to do so".

Is the UCI turning over a new leaf at last and becoming proactive?? Guess we will have to wait and see. :roll:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-wants-2008-giro-samples-re-tested-for-cera

they will 'try' to do so, ie. they wont actually do it but will do a bit of tough talking then quietly drop it.
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    I'm sure there'll be a couple more positives. Who will then deny it. Who will then be retested and found positive. Who will then serve their ban without admitting anything. Who will then come back.