Trainer bikes

deejay.
deejay. Posts: 665
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Am thinking of either a Wattbike or a Saris PT300 Pro as a fixed training bike for the home gym, so I can get a chance to do a few more hours each week than I can currently fit in. Has anyone tried either of these? What is the received wisdom on these things? I'd be keen to hear your views...

Cheers,

Duncan
He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil...

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Personally I would get a powertap or if you can stretch to it, an srm. Couple that with a turbo trainer and you are sorted for inside and outside power measurement that is also consistent.
  • deejay.
    deejay. Posts: 665
    I see your point, and a powertap system/turbo trainer is affordable. Unfortunately such a thing would only be good for my bike, and would not be of any use to Mrs deejay, who is a runner and needs to cross-train from time-to-time. Also, if I have a home trainer, I don't have to get sweat all over my bikes...
    He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil...
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I think the wattbike looks very cool and I would personally love one. I suppose if you didnt need all the options you could bodge together a cheap frame, decent back wheel and a turbo, but tbh I can see why you'd go down the dedicated trainer route (easier to get in and out of the saddle for one)

There were a fair few vids of the wattbike on youtube last time I looked.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Wattbike is meant to be very nice from all accounts. Pricey though.
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    Computrainer is cheaper. NapD hit the nail on its head tho - the PT/SRM is the best option. If Mrs Dejay wants to x-train then get her a bike for your turbo. any cheap as chips road bike should do just fine.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • torin
    torin Posts: 102
    personaly i dont like riding on turbos and much prefer rollers but i agree with napd if from what you have said
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've had a blast on a Wattbike and was very impressed - very well built and sophisticated piece of kit. My only disappointment was the graphic display - not very stimulating for a hard session - which would be the big advantage of something like a Tacx Fortius. Unless you're going to use the full functionality of the Wattbike, you'd probably get as much use out of a VR trainer
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..