Getting my bike next week (should be!) - what gets greased?

belter
belter Posts: 57
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi guys,
Getting a specialized rockhopper comp disc next week.

Getting it through Halfords on c2w.

Now, as a bloke who hasn't had a bike since a kid and am not mechanically minded at all, I am getting Halfords to build it but have heard bad things about Halfords building bikes.

I have read that you should always grease bearings and components when assembling - but also read that if the bearings are sealed you can't/don't need to grease them.

So my questions are:

1. What needs to be greased when the bike is being assembled - I want to make sure it is done (and I don't know what is sealed on the bike I'm getting - apart from the hubs).

2. Do you need to oil the chain straight away or is this already done for you?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No need to grease the hub bearings or oil the chain - already done. Some on the seatpost is good, and anti sieze compound on thread bolts.

Sounds like you need a decent maintenance book like ZInn (plus you will get instructions too).

But good on you for asking and undertaking maintenenace, as many many people don't do any and think they look after themselves!

Also can ask more specific questions in the workshop section here.
  • belter
    Cheers supersonic,
    Never heard of anti seize compound - have been trying to research maintennance as much as possible in the last few days. Can you give me a brand name please so I can look it up?

Also, where are the thread bolts located?

I am totally not mechanically minded by the way!!!! - but wanna learn!
  • supersonic
    Many bolts often have a blue compound on, but is useful stuff to get for pedal threads, or any threads that are not already fastened (though check for tightness).

The stuff I use is called Copa Slip.
  • delude
    delude Posts: 110
    supersonic, is there any guide or anything you know of which explains which parts on the mountain bike need to be maintained, how they are done, what they are etc or is it just a case of learning as we go?
  • supersonic
    The Leonard Zinn book is very good. But some parts have there own service intervals depending on what it is.

Generally I will check the stem bolts, QRs and a look over before every ride.
  • delude
    supersonic wrote:
    The Leonard Zinn book is very good. But some parts have there own service intervals depending on what it is.

Generally I will check the stem bolts, QRs and a look over before every ride.

Sorry, what's the QR?
  • supersonic
    Quick release skewers on the wheels
  • delude
    supersonic wrote:
    Quick release skewers on the wheels

The bike guy in my local shop obviously didn't check that when he sold it to me...as the front wheel almost come off on my first ride!
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    delude wrote:
    The bike guy in my local shop obviously didn't check that when he sold it to me...as the front wheel almost come off on my first ride!

Gulp!

I always check them b4 every ride, and give everything a good tug to ensure everything is secure (seat, pedals, forks, bars etc)

If im feeling particularly anal, and my torque wrench is to hand i check bolts lol

Si
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • supersonic
    Si78 wrote:

a good tug

*snigger*

Sorry, silly mood, tis a Friday!
  • Si78
    supersonic wrote:
    Many bolts often have a blue compound on, but is useful stuff to get for pedal threads, or any threads that are not already fastened (though check for tightness).

The stuff I use is called Copa Slip.

A man after my own heart lol

There is also Nickel Slip, which is a nice silver colour. I use it at work, as it works better at high temperatures (Casting dies get up to nearly 600 degrees C).
    I know temp isnt really an issue on a bike (except maybe on brake rotor bolts???), but i prefer the colour 8) lol

Si
  • Si78
    supersonic wrote:
    Si78 wrote:

a good tug

*snigger*

Sorry, silly mood, tis a Friday!

:oops: LMFAO
  • belter
    where are the thread bolts located?
  • supersonic
    Many areas - stem, derailers, disc brakes: but if they are already fitted they usually have the correct compound. If a shop isn't setting the bike up for you, then you still need to check they are tight. A torque wrench can help.