Riding in the SE

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited May 2009 in MTB rides
I am based in SE London, and as you can imagine, there's not a lot of riding to be done around here! Have some local wooded areas, but I know every inch of them and have grown bored over the years.

Anyone know of anything in the SE that's worth a visit? Don't mind a bit of a journey but not too far as it takes the joy out of the visit as you start thinking about the journey home!

Thanking you! :D

Comments

• DudleyF
    DudleyF Posts: 9
    Pitch Hill, Leith Hill & Swinley are near you.
    Bedgebury & PORC are a bit further
    South Downs further still.
    then there's Morzine, but that's another story...

BTW PORC (Penshurst, Kent) has a DH race on Sun. 17th, 11.30. Hairy short course. Enter on the day - 3 timed runs. Open for general riding also on the same day.
  • jamesst
    jamesst Posts: 322
    Cheesey wrote:
    I am based in SE London, and as you can imagine, there's not a lot of riding to be done around here! Have some local wooded areas, but I know every inch of them and have grown bored over the years.

Anyone know of anything in the SE that's worth a visit? Don't mind a bit of a journey but not too far as it takes the joy out of the visit as you start thinking about the journey home!

Thanking you! :D

i know what u mean cheesy, im just a few miles from u! enjoying shorne on the occasional weekend!
  • CrazySmudge
    CrazySmudge Posts: 137
    I to live in SE London and I had trouble finding somewhere to cycle but would recommend Swinley, Surrey Hills and Bedgebery. It normally takes me 45 minutes to Swinley - great singletracks, good climbs and some great descents. Haven't been to surrey hills for ages so couldnt really tell you that much about them but have heard there is some great riding there. Just tried bedgebury this weekend and would highly recommend it - flat, loads of pedaling but great fun.
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    +1 for Surrey & Swinley.
    There's Bluebell Hill too... North downs can be fun.

Have a look here for our collection of South East trail reviews/info.
    We quite often arrange trips to Surrey, so feel free to come say "Hi!".
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Thanks for all of the replies guys, need to get out on the bike more (been mostly road-riding as my fitness is shocking) but need to get out and enjoy myself and get a good ride in!

Me and a mate are trying to source an old van of some description to ferry the bikes across as our bikes wont fit in his car..... I am sans car at the moment!

Impished: very kind of you, I may very well take you up on that offer :wink:
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    Swinley and North Downs are also fairly accessable via train as well.
  • Richard2118
    Richard2118 Posts: 230
    Guys I can tell you that Surrey hills are awesome. In particular Around dorking if you are with a local rider there is more than enough for a whole day and for differing levels of technical ability .
    A good point of contact is Head for the Hills bike shop in Dorking , they sell maps. Or Nirvana Cycles in westcott

Or give me a shout and maybe arrange a guided tour, if you wish.
    Santa Cruz Nomad.
  • landieman
    landieman Posts: 10
    Hi, where in SE london are you based, we have some kinda secret local trails in a small bit of woodland?