help chosing bike for a newbie!!

robbo94
robbo94 Posts: 16
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
What bike would you reccomend for a begginer wanting to get into mountain biking. I have a budget of around £300-400 and would either like a hard tail or full sus. Although i have heard full suspension bikes at this price are not too good but anyway thanks for any replies and advice given.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Stick to a hardtail.

For now have a read of the Beginners Guide sticky and the What Hardtail thread in the buying forum for ideas.

Then fire away with more questions!
  • delude
    delude Posts: 110
    As a newbie myself, I would recommend looking on the net for some hardtails within your price range and then go to your local bike shop to find out prices etc. as it's always good to get a free service, advice and minor repairs :)

When they tell you a price, say 'Oh that's a little bit more than I was expecting to spend' and I guarantee they will knock some money off.
  • robbo94
    robbo94 Posts: 16
    great replies thanks, though is there any specific bike i should go for?
  • robbo94 wrote:
    great replies thanks, though is there any specific bike i should go for?

Hi robbo,

I'm gonna steal Supersonics thunder here and say 'Test is Best', bikes vary considerably and what suits one person may not suit another.

However, have a look out for the Carrera Fury from Halfords, you can get an '08 model for £399.99, see the link in my sig & also the other threads on that bike. Well worth the money if you can get one, still a few about but not for long.

HTH's :D
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    As ever it depends on what you want to do with your new bike, It is all down to personal taste and ability, I went full suss on my return to MTB and would have been picking up broken bits of myself off the trail by now with a hardtail :roll:
    I'd have a look at the offers on http://paulscycles.co.uk/ because bargain less year models are getting hard to find and if you like the look of anything go and try it somewhere and then use the lowest price to get a deal from where you want to buy it from :wink:
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll: