Merida MTB Marathons

jamLCFC
jamLCFC Posts: 197
edited May 2009 in XC and Enduro
Firstly apologies if this is covered else where... if thats the case i have looked and been unable to find it.

I assume that someone has done or is doing these events and i would like to know what they are like.I am sure that these events are great fun and i would like to give it a go but i do need some idea of what the reality of these type of events is.

In your experience:

What would the minimum bike spec be?
What would the minimum skill level be for the XC?
What would you think the minimum fitness levels would be?
What advice would you give to a complete novice?
What is the most important thing that i should consider before entering?

Many Thanks for your time :P

...............................................................................................................................
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Compulsive tinkerer....my ideas far far outway my ability and that makes things costly !!

Comments

• minimum bike spec; I've seen (and been beaten by) people on fully rigid single speeds.

minimum skill level; Nothing too technical. There might be a few short , steep drops. Just get off and walk down if you're not confident.

minimum fitness levels; 50km with a fair bit of climbing so you will need some fitness.

advice for a complete novice; You're not going to win. Just have some fun and gain some experience for the next one.

the most important thing that i should consider before entering; Prepare your bike, new chain and new pads if they are in any doubt. Take enough food & drink for 4 hours riding. Spare tubes & patches etc. Pace yourself, don't chase the fast guys. 50km over a mountain is a long way. Just plod on, nice & steady.
    I am a mountain biking god.
    Unfortunately, my bike's an atheist.
  • 320DMsport
    320DMsport Posts: 306
    I did the long course at Builth Wells this year which was only 41 miles not 60.

But great event, good atmosphere but as already said don't chase fast guys.

I use a carbon HT but hard tail/ full susser whatever really, there was a bloke doing it on a post bike for charity!

Nothing to technical at all.

Think beginners advice would be take plenty of food and water (there are feed sations too) and make sure you carb up the day before, eat plenty and keep hydrated the day before.

And enjoy, there are allsorts of abilities do these so you will be fine.
  • jamLCFC
    Thanks for the advice.....i am thinking 50k MTB at Ruthin in September. Plenty of time for me ,even in my hectic week, to work out a degree of fitness.

The 50K is about 32 miles so i would guess training to deal with a 50+ mile road ride to be able to cope with the 32 mile off road ride...........does it work that way?

....................................................................................................................................
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Compulsive tinkerer....my ideas far far outway my ability and that makes things costly !!
  • Not quite. Have alook at the course profile.
    If you're not used to riding over mountains, 1000m of climbing in a 50km ride can come as a bit of a shock.
    You can practice climbing short hills in Leicestershire, same as I can in Worcestershire, but it won't prepare you for the way those Welsh mountain climbs drag on for mile after mile. :)
    I am a mountain biking god.
    Unfortunately, my bike's an atheist.
  • p.fitz
    p.fitz Posts: 66
    did penrith last year..... i can do 50miles easy on road,,,struggled penrith long...but doing another this year havent decided which yet...Was going to master Penrith but not in calender...P.S on a hardtail I`m still fairly old school a bikes a bike your the engine but i have disc brakes :P
    Who put that hill there..!!!!!!!!..
  • baccodaddy
    baccodaddy Posts: 128
    pm me i live in leicester and do most meridas,i think i can answer most of your questions.
  • Whiskeyjack
    Whiskeyjack Posts: 10
    Definitely would recommend doing as much training on your MTB as you can, as it feels a lot different to your road bike. Great if you have the chance to build up fitness with commuting on your road bike (I know not everyone is lucky enough to be able to ride to work) then do MTB on w/e to stay in touch with trail skills.
    Weather is worth watching as if it has been raining a lot prior to the event, having hundreds of bikes riding the same line soon turns trails into bogs. Not fun if you are not at the front, and unless you are Nick Craig, you won't be! If it is going to be very muddy make sure you have grippy tyres, better to sacrifice a tiny bit of rolling speed than have no confidence in your bike on corners or descents.

I would say a hardtail is quicker, but a bouncer is more comfortable so it depends if you want to post a blistering time or just finish the course first time around.

Totally recommend giving one a go though! Great atmosphere, great event village, food stops have lots of stuff but can run low if you are right at the back of the field, nice to have a T-shirt to remind you of your accomplishment too. And it is an achievement whatever distance you choose, because as some of the earlier posts hint at, the climbing goes on for ages!

Hope you enjoy yourself.
  • jamLCFC
    Well as a taster we (SWMBO and I) have just entered the Evans Ride It at the Costwolds in August.

Its only the 12 miles but should be a good experience and gauge for Ruthin in September.

Thanks to all for their comments

• gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    their great events, this will be my 4th year of doing them, well organised, good routes and a relaxed atmosphere.
    the website is good and they normally post up the profiles of each course so you can see what your going to be doing.
    at some events they have a sportive on the sat and the mtb marathon on the sun so you can make a weekend of it. (camping is included in the £30 entry)

i was a bit apprehensive as to what to expect, but they are so relaxed, you can just go and ride a new route, no pressure and have a quality day, do it!! :wink:
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • Rory75
    Rory75 Posts: 60
    I trained twice a week doing a 13mile loop that was all climbing in the North York moors. Then on a weekend rode between 20-40 miles. Did the 75k marathon in penrith in 6hrs. Would have been faster but the route was really boggy and it was my first go at a marathon. But a great event, well organised and good fun.

Going for the 100k at Selkirk in August. Doing this ride to raise money for a local lad who has terminal cancer. Taking the training more serious this time as I dont want to let myself or people down who sponsor me. Aiming for 5-6 hours.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Did the Merida Crickhowell 50k today, was a blast even if it was a mud bath :) Although I do most of my training on the road it doesn't really compare (especially on a muddy slog of a course) having said that I rarely do over 40m on the road and am fine up to 50k off-road. I'd certainly do some 3-5 hour MTB rides to get used to being on the bike that long.

Pacing yourself is important, it's easy to get carried away at the start and pay for it later. You also need to take on some food during the ride (mostly used my own gels but the feed stations are good with free bananas/energy bars/energy drink/water) otherwise you'll be in trouble after a couple of hours.

In terms of bike anything from a full rigid to a FS would be fine, I used my Zesty 314 as I wanted comfort (and downhill fun). If I was in another body and trying to win it I'd use a short travel FS or carbon hardtail. Tyre choice is important to - if it's dry don't use chunky tyres, they'll slow you down a lot over 50k, likewise don't use dry tyres in gloopy mud otherwise you'll do another 10k sideways.
  • jamLCFC
    Thanks to all for the valuable advice.

My plan at the moment is to get pleanty of road miles in for the fitness side of things and then have a dabble with some local events .

this has been posted on here http://www.vcnotts.com/mtbracenights.htm
    and with it being just up the road it may well be my first venture (work permitting).