I'm 13

baba123
baba123 Posts: 235
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
hi everyone i'm 13 and have just bought a mongoose amasa elite 08 and am just wondering what upgrades anyone has for it
mongoose amasa elite 08
giant anthem x4 10

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you have just bought it there shouldn't be any need to upgrade it, except the tyres (as usually heavy) and maybe the saddle.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if you are thinking of changing things now then maybe you got the wrong bike.

Edit Pah Sonic was there first.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • baba123
    i'm just saying like does anyone think the tires are rubbish or there are better seats for a cheap price not things like gears or brakes things more like handlebars or seatpost
    mongoose amasa elite 08
    giant anthem x4 10
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If the saddle is comfortable, keep it! The Nevgals get good reviews.

I'd wait until parts wear out then repalce/upgrade.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    how do YOU find them?

are you getting good grip?

are the gears working fine? (if not then the bike needs to go back and get set up correctly?

Saddle bars etc how do YOU find them.

Yes every thing can be changed but without knowing what you feel is wrong then there is no point in sugesting anything as the sugestions may be worse for YOU.

Also if you mentioned what the parts are? then maybe it would mean something. not all bikes come with the same kit on them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • baba123
    Sram x-7 gearing
    wtb speed disc 2.1 tyres
    textro auriga comp brakes
    wtb v race saddle
    mongoose amasa elite 08
    giant anthem x4 10
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    The amasa elite is a fantastic bike out of the box (good choice), good gears, brakes, forks and most of the finishing kit. The only thing I can see that you might want to change are the pedals as they aren't that positive a grip, some decent flats or clipless (see the many threads) will make a nice difference. The rest is personal choice.

BTW the tyres are Kenda 26x2.1 Nevegal the rims are WTB speed discs
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Nice bike! When I was 13 I think I had a 3rd-hand BMX. Which I had to ride to work down t'pits, uphill both ways, in the snow.

The tyres are decent, I think the OEM spec Nevegals are a bit less good than the folding ones you buy aftermarket- they seem a bit stiffer and less grippy- but they're still good tyres, I use nevegals as my main choice as they can do everything. They're not fast rolling, that's their only downside really. But it's nice to never be the person changing tyres in the car park because it looks a bit too muddy for speed kings, or too dry for trailrakers, or whatever.

Contact points are the other thing you might want to change around- pedals, seat and maybe bars or stem, if you find that it's not comfortable or not the right shape for you, these things are all personal. And also not too expensive to change around.
    Uncompromising extremist