Ludlow/Mortimer Forest/Bringewood Sunday 17th May - Any one?

Mr.Epic
Mr.Epic Posts: 23
edited July 2009 in MTB rides
I'm organizing a ride round the Mortimer Forest & Bringewood area of Ludlow (South Shropshire) on Sunday 17th May. Start time will be 10am from the Vinnalls carpark (OS Grid Reference: SO474731).

Mainly XC bias with a few short sections of the DH course for good measure to spice it up. Not fast, not furious, just around a 3/3.5hr ride on best bits at a steady pace. No race whippets - It will be nice and steady on the climbs I can assure you!

A few riders from the Singletrackworld.com forum are already coming. Any one here interested?
Remember - a little adventure is good for you !

Comments

• mounty
    mounty Posts: 682
    I will be there, cheers for the guided ride on Friday :)
  • Mr.Epic
    Ok Paul! See you Sunday :-)
  • Mr.Epic
    Just a few days to go if anyone's interested. I'll re-post details of the meeting time and place again here on Friday evening, but still aiming for this Sunday morning at High Vinalls carpark, at 10am.

This isn't going to be a particularly fast ride, so fear not if you are a plodder! This is about enjoying some banter and showing folks the easily missed gems hidden round these parts. It might be muddy though! Severral folks coming from Singletrack forum, but doesn't look like many are interested here?!

Anyone interested can email me if they need directions, or have a query. I don't bite!
    benwilliams70ATgooglemailDOTcom

Mounty, you stil coming ?
  • mounty
    PM'd you. Cheers
  • Mr.Epic
    Everyone's very quiet? Afraid of a little mud & rain are we :wink: ?

Ok, did a good ride round the Mortimer today and it was, er, very muddy, full of dodgy roots, but still fun so it's all systems go for 10am at the Vinnalls carpark this Sunday if anyone wants to tag along.

Directions to carpark: From Ludlow head south out of town on the B4361, take the turning on the right just over the bridge after the Charlton Arms, sign posted for the Forestry Commission. High Vinnalls car park is about 2.5 miles up & over this road towards Wigmore. OS Grid Reference: SO474731.
  • joshfd
    joshfd Posts: 5
    Hey, how often do you guys ride round Ludlow way? I'm living down in Bridgnorth at the moment so would have joined you tomorrow but I'm in the process of sorting out a new bike as my old Giant has died on me! Next time your in area i'll tag along for sure if you don't mind! If anyone knows of anyone that's selling a decent full suspension freeride set-up around the £600 mark I'm interested! :)
  • Mr.Epic
    Joshfd,
    Your welcome to ride with us over here any Sunday morning, just give me a shout.

There are also some boys who ride the Wyre Forest every Sunday morning and Wednesday evening, that are a little closer to you if you're interested? Nice bunch, with some cracking riding on offer. See the thread below

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... &start=600
  • joshfd
    Cheers mate, I'll be in touch as soon as I sort myself out with something to ride. Yeah been planning to get myself down to the Wyre forest for a while so will give that a look. What sort of terrain do you normally ride? I had a bit of an introduction to downhill in Thailand a few months ago and loved it which has got me back on the bike again this summer after a few years of laziness!
  • Mr.Epic
    We usually do anything from a quick 15 loop of the forest with very technical singletrack/fire road mix, to an extended 30miler with a few lanes to link up all the local rideable woods. I'm not particulary fit, though some of my friends are! I also ride a bit of downhill for fun - great DH course at Bringewood!

We also head off to mid-wales alot to ride natural trails around Rhayader. We also ride the Nant yr Arain trail centre several times a year.

Hope you find a bike soon. Keep in touch !
  • joshfd
    Good stuff, i'm up for pretty much anything to be honest! I'll be in touch soon mate, cheers for the help! Enjoy your ride tomorrow!
  • mounty
    Hi Joshfd,

When you have a bike and fancy a ride in the wyre, just give me a shout ! :)

This might be of interest to you too; http://www.pearcecycles.co.uk/proposed_ ... bridgnorth

I have done the last few weeks with them, pace is gentle at the moment but its only just started up, so i t might be a while before things progress, worth a look though....extra miles :)
  • joshfd
    Cheers Mounty, appreciate it mate. The Bridgnorth club sounds good, soon as i get myself set up i'll come and join you. How did the ride this morning go? It was pissing it down when i woke up!
  • Mr.Epic
    Cheers to those who turned out at the very rainy start today!

The Biblical rain had me worried for the 6 of us, but the sun shone through in the end to make it a pretty good ride. I hope you enjoyed it!
    33mwrhx.jpg
    bh10e9.jpg
    2cyhf9y.jpg

If anyone else is looking for a ride in the area just PM me!
  • mounty
    How did the ride this morning go? It was pissing it down when i woke up!

Unfortunately I didn't make it :(
  • Mr.Epic
    For anyone wanting to do the next Mortimer/Bircher/Croft/Mortimer ride on Sunday 7th June, I'm planning on a 9.30am start from the High Vinnalls carpark of the Mortimer Forest. Keep an eye out here for comfirmation this Friday/Saturday, but unless the heavens dump the Atlantic on Ludlow I'm game on. I will also run this same ride again on both Sunday 5th July and Sunday 26th July for those who can't make it on the 7th June.

There will be a cafe stop at Croft for a snack/lunch, or you can bring sarnies. The cafe isn't cheap as it's Nat Trust but it's all good stuff.

The ride itself won't be fast, as I'm a firm believer in the pace of the slowest rider (usually me!), but there will be a good mix of technical singletrack, fireroads, cheeky trail and some back lane. Come self sufficient!

Directions to carpark: From Ludlow head south out of town on the B4361, take the 1st turning on the right just over the bridge after the Charlton Arms. High Vinnalls car park is about 2.5 miles up & over this road towards Wigmore. OS Grid Reference: SO474731.

If you need to ask any questions email me at: benwilliams70ATgooglemailDOTcom

See you on the 7th June!
  • Mr.Epic
    JUST A QUICK NOTE TO SAY THE 5TH JULY RIDE IS CANCELLED!

SORRY FOR THE SHORT NOOTICE, BUT MY MOTHER HAS HAD A MILD STROKE AND I NEED TO STICK AROUND AND KEEP AN EYE ON HER FOR A FEW DAYS.

I'm still planning a ride on the 26th Juky, all things being fine. I'll keep you posted on here & Singletrackworld.com

Ben
  • mounty
    Hi Ben,

Only just read this message, I hope your mother is ok and on the road to recovery....al the best...

Mounty
  • Mr.Epic
    IMPORTANT NOTICE - 26TH LUDLOW RIDE CANCELLED TOO!!!

Seem to be a bit cursed at the moment! My new girlfriend has just gone down with Swine Flu, I'm also feeling a bit rough so assume it's having a piece of me to, and the final straw - my mother now has it too! On the good side it doesn't seen to any worse than ordinary flu, but can't be too careful.

So no riding bikes for a week or so for me. Sorry to cancel so close to Sunday, I was well up for it too. Am I cursed at the moment?

Ben :-(