Are you finding cycling dangerous?

2»

Comments

• Chicane-UK wrote:
    The only way cycling in this country will ever improve is if the country as a whole gets a 'sense of perspective' bypass and stops being so selfish!

I couldn't agree with this more! When I speak to non-cyclists about the intolerant attitude of some drivers, I get the "well, you lot jump the red lights,blah, blah, blah". So according to them, we deserve to be killed or maimed b/c some of us violate a few codes. Doesn't matter to them that jumping a red light is not a crminal offence. Human life has become so cheap and worthless that people justify killing or maiming another road user just because they don't like their behaviour! And they get away with it because they have the full support of a media biased against cyclists.
  • The standards of driving have really gone down, better education is needed, incuding patience and anger management.
    The traffic calming is designed by an idiot, just look at all the traffic islands going in everywhere.
    I did see a funny thing once though, I had just passed a traffic island when there was an almighty bang, a car passing me had hit the island and blown out a tyre! :)
  • Article in Daily Wail suggests that cycling is dangerous and will no doubt keep people in their cars.

Number of cyclists killed on the roads soars as credit crunch transport gains popularity by Ray Massey dated 5th November 2009

Cycling deaths and serious injuries have soared by a fifth as more people have taken to two wheels during the recession, Government figures showed today. The number of cycle deaths and serious injuries in April-June 2009 totalled 820 - a 19per cent rise of the same period the previous year. Slight injuries to pedal cyclists rose 9 per cent this spring, provisional figures from the Department for Transport revealed.
    The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.
  • fill_d
    fill_d Posts: 153
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/dec/0 ... admissions

Having recently cycled across France and enjoyed the wide birth that they give you when overtaking I enquired why they are mostly (was the occasional bad lorry driver) so considerate of cyclists. The answer I got was that in any accident with a cyclist on a French road the vehicle driver is always assumed to be at fault and the burden of proving innocence is on them, not on the cyclist proving the driver was at fault.

A freind of mines brother was killed by a lorry turning left a short while ago, despite him banging on the cab before getting crushed, he then drove on before dumping the bike in a layby as it had become jammed under his lorry - he denied hearing or noticing anything and showed no remorse. The family have had terrible trauma attempting to prove this murderers guilt and as it turns out he has got away with it in court.

Until drivers understand that they are in charge of a lethal weapon and are treated as such by the law then they will never drive with the care that being in control of such a weapon should demand.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    fill_d wrote:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/dec/03/cycling-roads-accidents-hospital-admissions

Having recently cycled across France and enjoyed the wide birth that they give you when overtaking I enquired why they are mostly (was the occasional bad lorry driver) so considerate of cyclists. The answer I got was that in any accident with a cyclist on a French road the vehicle driver is always assumed to be at fault and the burden of proving innocence is on them, not on the cyclist proving the driver was at fault.

A freind of mines brother was killed by a lorry turning left a short while ago, despite him banging on the cab before getting crushed, he then drove on before dumping the bike in a layby as it had become jammed under his lorry - he denied hearing or noticing anything and showed no remorse. The family have had terrible trauma attempting to prove this murderers guilt and as it turns out he has got away with it in court.

Until drivers understand that they are in charge of a lethal weapon and are treated as such by the law then they will never drive with the care that being in control of such a weapon should demand.

Once again
    ( see threads re this issue on commuting forum)

You are confusing civil and criminal law.

The presumption of liability is a civil law matter.

Proving guilt in a criminal case has nothing to do with this presumption. Remember in criminal law it is innocent until proven guilty.. That is one of the founding principles of our legal system and long may it remain so
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • fill_d
    fill_d Posts: 153
    The problem comes, civil or criminal, from courts treating death on roads as an acceptable if regretable consequence of modern society. If you drive a car (and I do) then you are as dangerous as if you took a loaded gun outside. You should constantly excercise the upmost concentration at all times because you have the power to kill. Just recently two cyclists were killed in Devon buy a young lady because a spider dropped on her lap so she swerved! If you are incapable of being aware of other road users, or reacting safely to unexpected surprises then you shouldn't be driving- simple as that. The consequences from killing someone in a car are so deplorably low that drivers don't even consider- am I a competent, safe driver? Can I risk being in control of a car?

There are too many cars on the road, health problems from lack of fitness are on the increase, the natural environment is getting eaten up by new roads and developments. There are too many accidents. What are the answers?

How about a massive increase in the requirements to pass your driving license. Instant driving bans for a year whenever you get points. Manditory refresher lessons every 5 years. No driving overpowered cars by teenagers. Indeed, how about power and speed restrictions on cars full stop! Subsidised nationalised public transport, free bikes and bike trailers on busses, more biike carriage on trains....sorry, I'm away writing my transport manifesto now, better stop.
  • I think cycling is getting more dangerous, more so for newer, less experienced cyclists and commuters which I suspect may be causing the relative increase commuting by bike, thus more injuries, especially in London after the 9/11 attacks. Drivers do need to be aware of the lethal nature of cars and perhaps some riders should observe the highway code and traffic lights more than they do.

There is an increasing lack of respect between cyclists and drivers which is worrying. To be honest, I am a calm driver but when out on the bike I tend to be very wary of motorists - bovine, non-attentive planks in the main; some 45% don't know what they're doing, 45% don't care and 10% being very good drivers that actually care about how they overtake. Cars can dehumanise people - many drivers behave in a way they'd never dream of if they were walking in the street. Because they'd get punched, for a start.

That aside, I do think a clear intiative from the government is required to start making both parties more aware of the risks they're running and, perhaps, even being considerate and nice to each other!
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461

That aside, I do think a clear intiative from the government is required to start making both parties more aware of the risks they're running and, perhaps, even being considerate and nice to each other!

It's a sad state of affairs on a whole number of levels when we we feel that there needs to be governmental intervention to make people respect each other.

Bob