Bike Radar Sportive

Tom Butcher
Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
Anyone else doing this or is it just me and a few from my club ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.

Comments

• popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    me!
    I'm coming for the whole weekend - Friday until Sunday.
  • dead sheep
    dead sheep Posts: 109
    With credit crunch, I found that the banks did not have sufficient liquidity to allow me to enter.
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Turning up early Saturday for the Sportive
  • Tom Butcher
    Anyone know how many entries they've had so far ?

I wonder if the description of it - rough roads, steep climbs, Peak District sportive - is really portraying it as it is. The first third and the final third are no more than gently rolling - in a decent working group you could get a shift on without hurting your legs too much for the hilly section in the middle. Most of the ride is really about skirting round Derby to reach the Derbys/Staff Peak - nice cycling roads but not what you'd think of if you said you were doing a sportive in Derbyshire.

• popette
    popette Posts: 2,089

I wonder if the description of it - rough roads, steep climbs, Peak District sportive - is really portraying it as it is. The first third and the final third are no more than gently rolling - in a decent working group you could get a shift on without hurting your legs too much for the hilly section in the middle. Most of the ride is really about skirting round Derby to reach the Derbys/Staff Peak - nice cycling roads but not what you'd think of if you said you were doing a sportive in Derbyshire.

I'm quite glad to hear that as I'm doing the polka dot the week later and didn't want to be too tired for that one
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    I'm signed up and its my first attempt at anything like that distance so a nice long warm-up then an "easy" run home sounds good to me ....
  • mgcycleguy
    mgcycleguy Posts: 292
    The route is pretty much all my local training rides (not sure what im training for mind) and actually goes past my house !... so thought i had better enter my "Home event", never done anything like this before, and as i know what the middle bit is like after Carsington water, I've opted for the 100km route... lol
  • Hugh A
    Hugh A Posts: 1,189
    Yup - I'll be there - looking forward to the whole thing really, though can't stay beyond Saturday.
    I\'m sure I had one of those here somewhere
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494

Doesn't it go through Illam and Dovedale etc, there are some seriously steep and rough roads round there, if so the description sounds about right.

I've entered the 'devil take the hindmost' race which sounds like lots of comedy from the description in this month's procycling, wonder how long I will last....
  • Me also, Friday to Sunday
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • canon dale
    canon dale Posts: 212
    Has anyone ridden the 100 mile route, just to give it a try?

I did today (well the middle 75 miles) and would be interested in anyone else's thoughts
    "If you build it, they will come"
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I can't go at all and if I did, I can probably only ride a max of 25 miles...
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    le patron wrote:

Doesn't it go through Illam and Dovedale etc, there are some seriously steep and rough roads round there, if so the description sounds about right.

I've entered the 'devil take the hindmost' race which sounds like lots of comedy from the description in this month's procycling, wonder how long I will last....

It's certainly quite sporty around Thorpe and Ilam (I used my bike to measure the Ashbourne 1/2 marathon course a few years ago and that needed a bit of effort to ride a straighjt line up hill at times :)) but it's also quite steep round the back of Carsington Reservoir. I use those roads occasionally on one of my short routes.

However, as Tom says a lot of the route is quite mild until you get past Derby. Considering the queues of cars we get behind half a dozen of us over the river bridge between Repton and Willington it should be interesting on the event. Just hope no-one gets any idea from the Pitlochry experience.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • MegaCycle
    MegaCycle Posts: 236
    What Bikeradar Sportive?!

Where?

When?
  • Tom Butcher
    canon dale wrote:

I did today (well the middle 75 miles) and would be interested in anyone else's thoughts

No - I'm planning to ride the middle part of it in the next week though - what did you think of it - I'm guessing not that impressed ?

• canon dale
    canon dale Posts: 212
    canon dale wrote:

No - I'm planning to ride the middle part of it in the next week though - what did you think of it - I'm guessing not that impressed ?

You got PM Tom :?
    "If you build it, they will come"
  • Tom Butcher
    Did the section as far as the A515 after Parwich this morning - ran out of time to do as much as planned and had to hammer it back down the Via Gellia and A6 to get to work in time. That far I think the route is pretty good - sensible choice of roads - in fact the route up past Kirk Ireton to reach Carsington is far better than the one the local Saturday morning training ride normally takes - I know I haven't reached the Ilam section yet though.