Arriving at campsites in France

marksmith31
marksmith31 Posts: 9
edited June 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hello,
I am off to the south of france shortly to do some cycling/camping. I have read that the campsites are not all open all day. What is the normal times/procedure for turning up at campsites, especially as I would prefer to make an early start and finish cycling by midday.
Cheers,
Mark

Comments

• psmiffy
    psmiffy Posts: 236
    Normally someone turns up between 1800 and 2000 to collect fees and/or at 0800 the following morning - arrive any time the shower blocks or part of them are normally open - its a good idea to collect a couple of spare tokens (they are normally the same wherever you are) for the showers in case they operate a come round at 0800 system
  • alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    Im my experience of touring in France you can arrive/leave at any time. If the office is not open, then you can pay when it is or someone will come to you to collect the money. I have even spent a few nights at campsites without paying because nobody could be bothered to collect the money.

I have never had to use a token for a shower at a campsite in France.

Have a good one
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Shower tokens (jetons) are normally brass, about the size of a 10p but thicker, and have a groove in one face. They are often just for the water heater, so you may not need one if you don't mind cold.
    Quite a lot of campsites are unattended between about 12 and 4. If there's nobody in the office I pitch and go back later. I generally pay up at check in if I'm moving on, rather than bother about finding someone in the morning.
  • Thanks for that people! It is reassuring to know that I dont have to base my days around arriving in the evening. As for hot water tokens for the shower. Im not sure I am going to be needing those after spending the morning riding around in the Provence sun! Or at least hopefully not!
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    As for hot water tokens for the shower. Im not sure I am going to be needing those after spending the morning riding around in the Provence sun! Or at least hopefully not!

Oh you can't beat a decent hot shower.
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    I also have never needed a jeton for a hot shower; it has always been automatic and included in the price. Obviously I use the wrong sites!
    There are some municipal sites where the hot water (and even the complete sanitary blocks) are not available after 10pm. There is usually (always?) a toilet facility open somewhere but it may be a bit rudimentary and you have to look for it. Similarly it is normal for vehicle access to be closed after 10pm but this doesn't stop pedestrians and cyclists. You have to park a car at the camp entrance and hump the gear by hand (avoid arriving late with a caravan!). Good reason to use a bike!
  • infopete
    infopete Posts: 878
    Hi

Jetons are almost a thing of the past in France (though I think you can use them on the Toll bridge in Clearwater, Florida still... so save them :) ).

Smaller municipal sites may not have anyone there except mornings and evenings but most do nowadays.

The biggest problem is campsites are getting fewer in number but never fear there is always a pharmacy and a hairdressers in all villages.
    Oh and please remember to click on my blog:

http://americanbicyclegroup.wordpress.com

The more clicks I get the higher it creeps up the google radar :)
  • In some places there are a few campsites in the same town - which one should you choose? I always go for the camping municipal, run by the local council. True, they might not have a gigantic water slide, fluffy dice or go-faster stripes, but I have always found them efficient, pleasant and less expensive than the privately run sites.
    Cycling South West France
    Cycling in the Western Pyrenees
    Cycling to the Col du Tourmalet
    Cycling over the Pyrenees
  • I have been cycle touring in France for many years and never, ever needed any tokens for a shower.
  • alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    In some places there are a few campsites in the same town - which one should you choose? I always go for the camping municipal, run by the local council. True, they might not have a gigantic water slide, fluffy dice or go-faster stripes, but I have always found them efficient, pleasant and less expensive than the privately run sites.

I would agree with the above except when i stopped in Quimper last summer. We went to the Municipal first, it was horrendous, dark and small with a few dodgy looking characters sat around. We got out of there pretty quick and headed for the 4 star campsite on the other side of town, big mistake! 20 euros for the night and we were one tent away from getting robbed by someone slashing tents with a razor blade whilst the occupants were asleep and stealing their money and valuables. Looking back we would probably have been safer in the municipal :) Don't think i will visit Quimper again.