The obligatory pre-Grand Tour Danielson thread

DaveyL
DaveyL Posts: 5,167
edited May 2009 in Pro race
OK, the guy has never delivered in a GT, so probably not much point in thinking he'll do much this time. But.... I read an interview with Vaughters where he said he'd worked with TD over the winter and altered his diet. Vaughters said that Danielson was burning a huge %age of his calories from sugar, which led to his endurance being rubbish, and he reckons they have improved it a lot, presumably by having Danielson on a fairly low-carb diet. I guess we'll find out soon...
Le Blaireau (1)

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    DaveyL wrote:
    OK, the guy has never delivered in a GT, so probably not much point in thinking he'll do much this time. But.... I read an interview with Vaughters where he said he'd worked with TD over the winter and altered his diet. Vaughters said that Danielson was burning a huge %age of his calories from sugar, which led to his endurance being rubbish, and he reckons they have improved it a lot, presumably by having Danielson on a fairly low-carb diet. I guess we'll find out soon...

He was supposed to be the ONE, but you're right, he hasn't come up big yet. Although just riding on the pro tour is "coming up big" in my book.

Dennis Noward
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    i reckon youll see Group de Danielson at the tour and then he gets dropped from it :evil:
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I wish him well. I can't help liking the guy. To be so wide eyed at this stage of his career is quite some achievement.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I really fear for him on Saturday. I mean, he's actually going to be in the same race as Lance Armstrong. I just hope there's an emergency gondolier on standby to fish him out of a canal, just in case he faints or something.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    he was not impressive in the classics but to be fair, was quite decent in Tour of cali, and high up over Palomar, so maybe he can get hia act together yet...so long as he stops writing rubbish about being the best climber in the world when he's done nothing yet to show that-he has coffee brands named after mountains :)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    He's 31 now, yet is still talked about like he's 25. He's done nothing as a pro bar a stage win and and a couple of top tens at the Vuelta when he was riding for Discovery. I'll let you make up your own minds about why he had that purple patch.

Remember last season when he said he was going to do a ride at Lombardy? He was about 5 mins behind the front group on the Ghisallo. :roll:

I'm sure he's a lovely fella but he can't seriously be talked up as a GT contender any more can he?
  • DaveyL
    Probably not - but will be interested to see if he is going better after his new regime in the winter. And this time it's Vaughters who's talking him up, not the man himself!

He will probably do bugger all though.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    53x12039.jpg
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    DaveyL wrote:
    Vaughters said that Danielson was burning a huge %age of his calories from sugar, which led to his endurance being rubbish, and he reckons they have improved it a lot,

I read that and rolled my eyes somewhat. He's 31 and been riding most of his life, something that fundamental would have been 'discovered' by now surely ? Also didn't seem to affect him when he was at Disco.

Or maybe not and explains why my endurance is also rubbish, just need to change my diet.
  • DaveyL
    Well, I think it involved a change to a low-carb diet *and* some specific training to get a higher %age of energy from fat. There's been a few articles about simlar methods, one on the cyclingnews fitness area recently.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    Stage 4

Danilo Di Luca (Ita) LPR Brakes - Farnese Vini 4.15.04 (38.107km/h)
    Thomas Danielson (USA) Garmin - Slipstream 10.54
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    The real question: will he have a ccontract after this year?

Garmin-Slipstream has put a lot into him and keeps saying thaat this year he'll finally fulfill his potential and he continues to fail. I wonder how long before they give up.
  • dave_1
    he sells his own brand of coffee beans each named after hills he holds records on....the guy should really be ignored...he's a team helper at best...and has benefited from his association with Armstrong. he's had no major results since 2006- a stage of the vuelta
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    iainf72 wrote:
    53x12039.jpg
    Nice pic of Malc, who are the hangers on? :D
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Is that Sinki? If so Elliot is sandwiched in between two clients of Dr Ferrari. :shock:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    3 clients actually....
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    That pic was taken at one of Ferrari's 53x12 training camps wasn't it?
  • dave_1
    TommyD seems not to be twittering quite so much post stage...hmm... one of Europe's great climbers not...it's good he's getting found out. My bet is he will claim some illness and injury and retire from the Giro...all the hype he created and hill climb records he claims...what a joke!