Cannock any good? Or another reccomendation

Telemaster18
Telemaster18 Posts: 189
edited May 2009 in MTB rides
Going biking this saturday and was thinking about cannock? It's pretty short though no? What do people do when they go there? My brothers recently got his new bike and hasn't been riding for months so his fitness is RUBBISH. Did penmachno last week which was a push for his current fitness. He's previously been able to do it no problem but wants to take his time building his fitness back up. Marin is a bit of a push for him yet and can't be bothered with Coed y brenin or Llandegla. So it was Lee Quarry (although this is very short) or Cannock. I'd love to do something in the peaks which I'm still yet to do. However we can't read maps or find our way too easily so untill we've ventured out with someone else it'll have to wait. Anybody got any info? Sorry if i've gone on a bit long. Living in North Wales...

Comments

• nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Cannock is an easy red route - about 7/8 miles long depending on re-routed sections when they are doing maintenance.
    My cousin (age 11) has done cannock no prbs.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • Telemaster18
    Telemaster18 Posts: 189
    Worth goin? it's gonna take 1 1/2 or 2 hours from wales so is it worth the journey. Or can anyone reccomend anything else?
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I went to Cannock a few weeks back and had a great time.

It's an easy red, none of the climbs are too long or hard and there aren't any super scary bits. All this means you can ride the trail as hard and fast as you want and really push the limits. There is also a downhill area not far away if you're after some more thrills.

Parking is only £3 for the whole day IIRC and its free to ride the trails.
  • puddle-rider
    puddle-rider Posts: 295
    Try the Long Mynd at Church Stretton, you'll find a rout on mybikely if you put a search in for Church Stretton.
    Far better than Cannock ie no crowds just a few walkers going up Carding Mill Valley (bewrae big push though to the top but well worth it) but after that you'll have the place to yourselves on some excellent natural single track.
    Trouble with Cannock at the weekends is the popularity as often it's like a train set.
  • If your fitness is rubbish and you can't read a map, I'd say Cannock is ideal. :P

Seriously, It's a good route. None of the climbs are too bad and there's some good singletrack. The Chase itself is huge so there's plenty of stuff to explore and if you do get lost, just keep going in a straight line and it won't be long before you hit a road or civilisation.
    I am a mountain biking god.
    Unfortunately, my bike's an atheist.
  • Cannock is a fun loop - worth doing twice if your fitnessis up to it - just beware of idiot walkers who think it's fine to ignore the cycles only signs at the top of downhill singletrack...
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    Although it gets a bit of stick for being a touch on the easy side, the red route (Follow the Dog) at Cannock does sound pretty ideal for what you want. There aren't really any really lengthy climbs, with the possible exception of the fireroad between sections 7 (with the northshore) and 8.

At the top of the fireroad hill, you actually have the choice of two section 8s - the one to right is the orginal section, and is shorter and downhill, but followed by another fireroad climb to the next section. The one to the left is longer, and has a steady climb with switchbacks towards the end, but is a lot more fun. Both bring you out to the same section.

The route is really well signed, but if you do get lost, there's normally people about who can point you in the right direction.

If you wanted to lengthen the route without making it too taxing, you could cross the road at the start of section 13 (a descent that runs parallel to the road) and do the green loop, which will eventually bring you back to the same spot, so you can carry on doing the final couple of sections. Obviously the green loop isn't taxing from a technical point of view, but it takes in some of the prettier parts of the Chase whilst being waymarked all the way.

As others have said, if you can get there on a weekday it'd be preferable. It gets very, very busy on a weekend, both on the shared fireroads that link the sections, and on the trail itself. If you have to go there at a weekend, the afternoons tend to be a bit quieter than the mornings.

Also, be careful near the exits and entrances of sections. The fireroads that connect the sections and that you have to cross to get to the next section are shared with walkers/horseriders, and obviously it gives bikers a bad name if people come screaming out of sections at 5 billion miles per hour and nearly run over little Timmy and his family.

Also, it's at the exit and the entrances of sections where little Timmy and his family are most likely to lose the ability to read warning signs, and decide that a dedicated mountain bike trail is the ideal place for a family walk. Just because they're ignorant or inconsiderate doesn't mean we should be! ;)

Hope some of that information is useful!
  • Cps
    Cps Posts: 356
    Cannock is good but will be better when the new sections/loop opens july time.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Yesterday I rode from my home in Brocton, took in the last bit of FtD and then carried on past Stile Cop and on to Castle Ring. The views across to the Peak District were stunning (apart from the power station). After a can of Relentless I bombed back, rode FtD section 7-12 and then headed back via Abraham's Valley.

Absolute belter of a ride.
  • mentalalex
    mentalalex Posts: 266
    Cannock is my local riding spot.

follow your dad is ok.

but if you know the area well you know where the good stuff is.

join some of the group ride at Cannock Sunday MD 9.30, good ride, friendly people

find more at www.chasetrails.co.uk
    I do science, sometimes.