New - A few questions

delude
delude Posts: 110
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
Hey all!

I have only ever owned BMX bikes, but decided to get into MTB a bit so bought a Diamondback Groove ('09) a couple of days ago. I know some people seem to have this absolute hate for DB, but whatever, I don't care :D

Anyway, I wanted to ask first of all about the chain. The groove is sold as a jump bike, but even doing a little hop off a curb seems to cause the chain to rattle/flap/slap or whatever, which makes me fee a bit uneasy and as if something there is going to come off or break. I have heard of chain guides, and seen the 'DMR Chain reactor' but don't really understand whether they would help, or where they go etc (I really am new...never owned a proper bike with gears before!)

I would definitely like to get in to mountain biking, and would like to get comfortable with jumps etc but with the chain like this I really don't feel safe.

James

Comments

• Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Welcome to the forum

First get a chainslap guard - such as the one that comes free with MBUK next month.
    Chainguides are only for DH bikes really and are designed to prevent the chain from coming of the chainrings.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Chain rattle is completely normal on geared bikes, as the chain is free to move.
    It doesn't happen on BMX's due to the singlespeed setup, which requires a tight chain, leaving no room for movement.
    Like whitepeak says, a chainstay protector would help minimise the chain slapping the frame of the bike, but an old inner tube wrapped around and zip tied at each end does the same job.
    If you're only using the bike for jumping then it might be worth converting it to single speed, of course this does make it less versitile and harder work when the ground points upwards.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • delude
    Thanks guys :)

Whytepeak, do you know if this guard could easily be fitted to the Diamondback Groove bike? I am an absolute complete newbie to mountain bikes, but will definitely buy the magazine if one is included! (Is this promotion online, or in store?)

Also, is anything needed to prevent the chain from touching the rear wheel? I have seen various chain accessories which seem to change the tension etc, but is it worth it?

Thanks again :)
  • Whytepeak
    Assuming the chainstay isn't an overly irregular shape, then the chainstay protector will simply wrap, around it. It is a neoprene cloth that wraps around the chainstay and fastens with velcro. This protects the chainstay from chips and sractches, and reduces noise levels. MBUK's freebie will come with every issue sold in shops.

It is highly irregular for a chain to hit the rear tyre, due to the stiffness of a chain when subjected to any sideways movement.
    A chain tensioner is used on single speed bike to errr, tension the chain. You don't need one as you run gears, the rear derrailluer is a chain tensioner.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • delude
    Thanks again very much. I will have to look out for the next issue, as I will definitely be buying it.

The thing about the chain movement was based upon me being able to press it from the side causing it to touch the wheel, but I guess this isn't a problem when riding then.

Is the general rattling noise when riding over something from the chain hitin the 'chainstay'(?) or from the...'thing'...the chain goes on that hangs down at the back? (So sorry for my lack of biking language, I will be sure to read up at the weekend!)
  • Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    Thought it was bullet caps with the next MBUK issue.
  • Whytepeak
    Delude

Most of the noise, and all of the damage will be caused by the chain slapping on the chainstay. Assuming your gears are set up correctly, the rear derrailleur (the thing that the chain goes on that hangs down at the back) should run smooth with little noise (when not changing gear).

Airienteer

The bullet valve caps come with the June Issue - Now available
    Next issue, available on the 3 June, comes with a free 'Chain Reaction Chainstat Protector'.
  • delude
    Ah, everything is making sense now :)

I think I might open a subscription with MBUK, but if I wanted to get a chainstay guard before next month, is there a brand you could recommend?
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    Use an old inner tube and cable ties until the MBUK one arrives, then just slap the MBUK one over the top for double bubble protection! Bingo!
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • delude
    apdoughty wrote:
    Use an old inner tube and cable ties until the MBUK one arrives, then just slap the MBUK one over the top for double bubble protection! Bingo!

Are there any hard wearing and reliable brands? I would prefer to spend a bit extra on something that will last and protect it best.
  • Whytepeak
    An inner tube would last the month, otherwise get a lizardskins version, as this will fit almost any bike.
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Check out Chain reaction cycles for a full range of chainstay protectors, LIzard skins are the standard but expensive, DMR do a rather nice (if one can be nice) protector for about £4
  • delude
    Thanks so much guys, would you know about sizing? I've seen the lizard skin ones on eBay for a reasonable price but they are 'jumbo' size...

Thank you so much again, I really do appreciate it :)
  • nby
    nby Posts: 62
    super jumbo; 128mm x 245mm
    jumbo; 85mm x 255mm
    standard; 68mm x 245 mm

have a lookie at; http://lizardskins.com/products/?type=m ... chainstays
    fury 'n' i
  • delude
    Thanks everyone, I bought a black Lizard Skin Jumbo chainstay protector, but will also buy the MBUK magazine when it is out for the spare (and to get into the magazine!).

Now I just need to read about and learn how to use and change the settings on the forks :)