Advice please as to new bike: here we go again

zammmmo
zammmmo Posts: 315
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
Hi, I just wanted some people's thoughts. I used to do alot of testing between 1994-1998 and was also a Cat 2 roadie. In recent years (after a few years of getting fat) I've started mountain biking and running, and I'm now in reasonable shape. I'm tempted to have a go a) at time trialling again at the grand old age of 37 and b) maybe duathlon or work towards a half Ironman.

Ok, which bike? My budget is up to about £2500 including aero wheels, and have no aversion to used or oldish equipment. I have been offered a 2008 Pinarello FT1 for just shy of £2000 and it seemed to give a good position and was kitted out well. Not as extreme as what I used to ride - which was an Argos (mildly aerodynamic) frame with flat forks, 650c/700c HED wheels, blade seatpin etc etc etc.

Anyone know if this is a good buy (it will need money spending on it for aero wheels - might have to up the budget or get something secondhand)? Any comparisons with Cervelo or Planet-X stuff very welcome or opinions, or suggestions as to an alternative bike.

Would very much appreciate your thoughts.........

Cheers.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would look at something from someone like Planet X with their carbon tubs...

Or, if it fits, there is a shop near me with an ex-display Cervelo P2 Ultegra with Zipp wheels for your budget.
  • zammmmo
    Sounds interesting. What size is the Cervelo? I am 5'11". PM the contact details
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    With that budget and that time out i would, in my very humble opinion, at least talk with a shop like epic cycles they seem really good, i have no experience but i also have no experience as cat 2, or for that matter cat anything :oops:
  • zammmmo
    Just noticed that Richard Prebble rides one of those Pinarello ST1s....if its good enough for him, its more than adequate for me! :lol: