What is RAI doing to the Giro?!

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited May 2009 in Pro race
First we hear that they're forcing RCS to cut back summit finishes and then this: I called RAI to find out the schedule for the Giro, and I find out they're not showing ANY of the Giro until monday! They're skipping the first two stages for soccer! :x

The start of the national tour of italy can't get any TV time?

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Do you mean football Don?

:wink:

It's on Eurosport though...
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • donrhummy
    iainf72 wrote:
    Do you mean football Don?

:wink:

It's on Eurosport though...

LOL, yes, sorry. "European" football. :D:wink:
  • aurelio_-_banned
    aurelio_-_banned Posts: 1,317
    edited May 2009
    donrhummy wrote:
    LOL, yes, sorry. "European" football. :D:wink:
    Mmmm. I guess "European" football is so-called because in involves kicking a ball around using the feet. So why do they call that funny American game 'football' when it mainly seems to involve carrying and throwing the ball, as in Rugby? :wink:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    donrhummy wrote:
    First we hear that they're forcing RCS to cut back summit finishes and then this: I called RAI to find out the schedule for the Giro, and I find out they're not showing ANY of the Giro until monday! They're skipping the first two stages for soccer! :x

The start of the national tour of italy can't get any TV time?

What? it's not on either RAITRE or Rai Piu?
    That would be seriously amazing and bad.

If Rai aren't transmitting the race live, then where are Eurosport going to get their pictures from?
    They can only take the same live feed. :?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Hang on now, whats RAI showing instead of the cycling?

The only football I can see on Sunday is Mayo v New York in the Connacht GAA Football Senior Championship, but I'd be amazed if anyone in Italy has even heard of football, let alone wants to watch it.

Italian clubs haven't joined the Magners League yet, and Munster have already won it anyway, so I doubt they would show that over the cycling
    There is some League football on over the weekend, but do the Italians even play Rugby League?

There is a full AFL schedule over the weekend, but it's Ozzie Rules, it will be on stupidly early in the morning.

Neither the NFL, CFL nor the colleges play football over the summer so it can't be them.

So thats, Gealic Athletic Association football, Rugby Union football, Rugby League football, Australian Rules footabll, National Football League football (aka 'American' football) and Canadian Football League football. Could you be more specific about which one RAI is showing instead of the cycling?

oops, forgot one, Association Football, soccer for clarity. Thats the one the Italians fix isn't it? Doubt RAI would be showing that....
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Nice bum steer there, Don.

From RAI's website:-
    RAITRE Sabato
    16:25Lido di Venezia 92° Giro d'Italia 1^tappa 17:50
    Domenica
    15:05Trieste 92°Giro d'Italia 2^ tappa Jesolo Trieste
    15:05Giro diretta
    15:05Giro all'arrivo
    15:05Processo alla tappa 18:00

Usual morning shows, too and its on Rai Piu.

Looks suspiciously like Giro coverage to me. :oops:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • donrhummy
    Sorry, I should specify: This is RAI international in the U.S.A. I called them directly and looked on the TV guide and both have no Giro until monday. It might be diff. in europe (you lucky bastards!)
    http://www.international.rai.it/tv/pali ... 0509.shtml
  • donrhummy
    I'm still annoyed that RAI won't have the Giro till stage 2 (What's that about?) in the U.S., but at least they signed a deal with Universal (the night before!) so it was watchable online here. How did everyone else watch it in the UK?
  • campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    Yeah, here in Europe it was on Rai 3 and Eurosport.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    yes, the Giro is being run into the ground, I see 1100 accredited journos this year, 600 last year hmmm....wonder why? All that media attention is the last thing the bike racing needs eh
  • donrhummy
    Dave_1 wrote:
    yes, the Giro is being run into the ground, I see 1100 accredited journos this year, 600 last year hmmm....wonder why? All that media attention is the last thing the bike racing needs eh

What does that have to do with anything? I was talking about RAI, not RCS and other media. RAI is ruining the Giro (for those of us in ther US especially) but RCS is not. RAI has nothing to do with journalists from newspapers and other tv/online media.
  • avalon
    avalon Posts: 345
    Dave_1 wrote:

Are you being sarcastic?
    Difficult to tell with you. :?
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    apologies, wrong thread...media related...yes, the Giro has seen a near 50% increase in journos seeking accredidation
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Did anyone else notice that today's stage the graphics were in English?
    No i]testa della corsa[/i] nor inseguitori. Yesterday they were in Italian so is this only 'cos TheTwit is in the race and it's being beamed to the US?
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman