Carrera Virtuoso pre-built or box of bits?

Deadeye Duck
Deadeye Duck Posts: 419
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
Ok, in a few weeks, once I've hopefully sold my guitar ( :( ), I hope to buy the above bike as my old full sus is a pain to commute on and I don't really go offroad at all.

Having built motorbikes up from scratch for track and road, I'm not too bothered about the maintenance side of it as I dare say any little bits that do baffle me I can find info about online.

My main questions are:
1. Can I actually purchase an unbuilt boxed up version?

2. Will motorbike chain lube/grease/cleaning products be ok on a bicycle or do I need bicycle specific versions?

3. Will buying a boxed version in any way effect my warranty for said bike.

4. Is there anything I have missed that I may need for building it myself? (I'll need a chain tool As my motorbike one is bust anyway, so I'll be popping into an LBS to get one and might as well get anything else I'm likely to need while I'm there.)

I realise 1 and 3 are more than likely dependant on the shop and will ask before purchasing, but asking here just incase anyone has done similar things.
Schwinn Fastback Comp : FCN 5
The Flying Scot : FCN 515q6cuv.png
My Life, My Bike & My Xbox

Comments

• Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    1 - No. You can buy a bike frame and all the bits but Carrera bikes are only available complete.
    2 - I use the same cleaning products for my motorbike and bicycle but not the same chain lube.
    4 - If you're building a bike from bits then there are a few special tools that you'll need, such as a cassette tool and a BB tool.
  • Deadeye Duck
    Cheers for the help. I'll pick up some lube at the same time as the chain tool.

In the case of the carerra, building one from bits seems to be quite expesive for bicycles, and I'd no doubt forget to buy a few parts, so I'll probably just buy it as is then.

I can always take it apart and put it back together while giving it it's first clean.
  • Mystique
    Mystique Posts: 342
    What guitar are you selling?? 8)
  • Deadeye Duck
    Schecter C7 Blackjack. I don't want to talk about it too much, I'll start crying :lol:
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    The Carrera will come almost built in the box. Brake cables may need attaching to callipers, gearing needs indexing correctly, bars/stem fitting and front wheel putting in place. If you order off the net it will probably come like this. If you buy from the store Halfords policy (IIRC) is to PDI the bike before it leaves the store. Depending on the store you may need to check this over yourself afterwards.
  • Deadeye Duck
    Thanks for the info. I'll be buying it in store to make sure I get the right size. So I guess I'll just give it a once over when I get it home.