Am I really that unfit??

trekrider127
trekrider127 Posts: 83
edited June 2009 in Amateur race
Here's the story - been riding for a year - 43 yr old - lost 2 1/2 st, now just under 13st and I've got a desire to do a 10m TT. The wonder however if my level of performance is way worse than I think. Going out with a gorup of other guys I know my hill climbing is weak, but generally I end up being 'put' at the front if its a headwind, maybe I'm just big enough to be a decent windbreak!

Been out this morning for a 10 miler by myself and these are the figures - I'd appreciate some thoughts - be honest, although being torn to shreds isn't pleasant!

Conditions - very windy - fairly hilly course.

10.3miles - 38.08 minutes - av 87%MHR (my max is 196) - 567 cal (on a Polar not sure how accurate or relevant) - av speed 16.3mph - max 28.8 mph - av cadence 79.

Thoughts - it looks pretty poor to me

Cheers

Comments

• FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    Very windy and hilly with 16.3 mph average. Looks a decent pace to me.
    I have a similar commute distance, although flatish, and average around the same.

Don't get hung up on averages - enjoy cycling!
    Congrats on the weight loss.
    Powered by Haribo. Zwift convert P.aul Laws [x]
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    It gives you a target to beat next week. Pacing can take time to learn.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Trekrider - I don't know if you're inviting comparison with some sort of norm, but the thing is, there are people out there who can go a lot faster than you, and people who go a lot slower. Your time would look absurdly poor for a pro rider but quite good for a 43 year old (I'm 44!) who's still quite a novice rider.

The only real comparison is with yourself, and in that respect, one trip doesn't say a lot: there are so many variables - wind is one big one (even on a circuit, wind will slow you down), but then things like how fresh you are (my 2 best rides this year have both come after enforced rests of over a week), even your state of mind will make a big difference. Do it a few times in different conditions etc. & you'll start to get clearer stats.

But even then you can interpret things how you like; after all, if you're feeling fitter & enjoying your ride more, maybe that's more important than what the stopwatch says?
  • Helpful thoughts - thanks guys.

I suppose being fairly new to this, looking at the results of the local TT and seeing times generally between 25 and 30 mins, I'm thinking should I enter?

I know its not a case of 'being competitive' - more not wanting to be a drain on those running the event by being totally out of the ballpark.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    I suppose being fairly new to this, looking at the results of the local TT and seeing times generally between 25 and 30 mins, I'm thinking should I enter?
    Yes, definitely. Don't be put off by others' times. You may find that the course they are using is a lot flatter. The start and finish will be close-ish so for any time spent grinding into a headwind, time triallists get the same benefit from a tailwind. It may be that the course and conditions are much easier in an official event. Besides everyone ALWAYS goes faster when they put a number on their back and someone else is timing them. It's one of those unexplained mysteries in life........ :wink:
    I know its not a case of 'being competitive' - more not wanting to be a drain on those running the event by being totally out of the ballpark.
    You will DEFINITELY not be considered a drain on the organisers. I know a heck of a lot of cyclists and a heck of a lot of cycling clubs and every single one of them would be delighted if a novice came along and asked to join in. It might be worth saying to the organiser that you're completely new, you don't think you'll be fast and ask for an early start number. Otherwise, if you're one of the last off, the timekeepers and marshals could have a bit of a wait. I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem but it could be avoided if you were one of the first to start.

Ruth
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Yes most clubs like getting potential new members down - and clubs aren't all about racing they often have plenty of members who cycle for other reasons.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm 33 and got by far the slowest 10 time in the club 10 mile TT last night with a time of 34.59... Most do low 20's. I was aiming for 24ish this year but I don't think that is going to happen.

It is a rolling course but it was mega windy last night.
  • thetrotter
    thetrotter Posts: 258
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Yes, definitely. Don't be put off by others' times. You may find that the course they are using is a lot flatter. The start and finish will be close-ish so for any time spent grinding into a headwind, time triallists get the same benefit from a tailwind. It may be that the course and conditions are much easier in an official event. Besides everyone ALWAYS goes faster when they put a number on their back and someone else is timing them. It's one of those unexplained mysteries in life........ :wink:

Absolutely. I sometimes train round our local 10 courses and never get anywhere near my race times. Give it a go. I suspect that you will be pleasantly surprised. And don't be put off by the equipment used by some riders. You don't need disc wheels or tri-bars to go fast (although they certainly help).
  • Anonymous
    After the first time you'll be hooked!
  • really helpful input - particularly the bit about asking for an earlier number to avoid causing people to hang around.

From an etiquette point of view - a faster guy coming up behind - do I pull out for him to come through the inside or sit inside for him to pass on the outside?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You ride your own race - overtaking should be done as normal - and its the overtaking riders job to do it - don't start weaving around waiting for someone to come past, and certainly dont pull out on them.
  • Anonymous
    really helpful input - particularly the bit about asking for an earlier number to avoid causing people to hang around.

From an etiquette point of view - a faster guy coming up behind - do I pull out for him to come through the inside or sit inside for him to pass on the outside?

Just hold your line...
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Helpful thoughts - thanks guys.

Yup, I'd definitely give it a go. 30 mins for a 10-mile TT (aka 'evens') is generally a good benchmark for a newcomer to aim for.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • jamiecurry
    jamiecurry Posts: 34
    times dont seem that bad really, power to weight ration is the issue here. im not that much of a climber my self you seem to average a decent pace in training which can no way be related to race speeds/conditions etc.

if you want to do TT's all the time train for that and you will improve. to do 10 TTs I used to do a 14 mile training ride and do about 8 miles in the middle flat out and that was about all my traninig at the time consisted of, the key to it was the quality of the traninig in the middle section of my ride. eg was at 190-195 most of it (my max hr is 223) so its all top end level 4 and early level 5 stuff you need to do.

weight is always an issue, over last winter struggled with training and was over 70kgs, managed to loose 10 and hey presto the loss of body fat has seen a huge performance gain.

hope these tips help!

James
    Inverse Racing UK / Bikefood
    http://www.inverseracing.com
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    Just get stuck in mate.

I've started TTs this year and have finished 3rd last, 4th last, 2nd last, 8th last....

You get the picture!! but i've improved my times most times and, anyway, I really enjoy being part of it and don't feel out of place.

I've also done two open category road races and been last in each - on both occasions i have been so slow that I never got a finishing time as everyone was back at the strip - my last effort I lasted the princely distance of 0.7 miles before waving bye-bye to the rest of them but it's been strangely enjoyable and with regard to being a drain on the organisers - it's the complete opposite in my experience - most people will give you a 'well done' for finishing as lots of people bail out halfway round.

Enthusiasm counts for a lot - the main thing is you enjoy it and are losing weight and feeling more comfortable with your body and wellbeing, etc. everything else is a bonus in my eyes
  • Thanks guys- I really appreciate the encouragement to get stuck in - first one booked in my diary for a week on Wednesday!

In the words of Nike 'Just do it'
  • Anonymous
    Good luck!!

It's amazing what can happen when you have that number on your back.

5 weeks ago I did a 34.59.

Last week it was a 27.39.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Thanks guys- I really appreciate the encouragement to get stuck in - first one booked in my diary for a week on Wednesday!

In the words of Nike 'Just do it'

Good luck!

I'd been saying "I'll have a go some time" since this season's 10 mile TTs started at my local track, but I kept wimping out and finding excuses not to do it. I finally "just did it" on Thursday. It was cold, wet and windy; not the best evening to go for my first timed event in more than 20 years (I'm 40, and did a couple of 10 mile TTs when I was about 20).

Anyway, I thought my legs were going to cramp up after 2 laps (it's a 1.5km track, so 12.5 laps), and I got passed by a guy in his 60s :D, but still surprised myself with a better time than I was expecting (29:09, so a little over 20mph average).

Have fun, and remember you're only racing yourself; don't worry about the time, just enjoy it.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Good luck!!

It's amazing what can happen when you have that number on your back.

5 weeks ago I did a 34.59.

Last week it was a 27.39.

Congrats Napoleon, good time (27.39) , and plenty more to come when your leg-situation improves.