Tyre confusion - please help

Spender1330
Spender1330 Posts: 11
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
I have a Giant SCR 1.5 which came with tyres sized at 700x26mm - and I hear they arent the best.

However, I have been struggling to find replacements with those specs. Do I HAVE to replace like for like, or can I get say a 700 x23 instead.

Basically I dont have a clue how tyre sizing works. Are they wheel dependant, ie do I need new wheels to fit 700x23 tyres like the Michelin Pro3.

Any help from anyone??
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary.......is just that little extra

Comments

• odalay
    odalay Posts: 3
    hi, you should be fine with those tyres, rims usually come with a recommended tyre width. for example the mavic open sport rim says ' Recommended tire widths: 19 to 32 mm'
    might say on the side of your rim what size tyres it can take.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    I had pretty much the same bike (2007 SCR Ltd) and they were fine with Conti Attack/Force combo which are 700x22. You'd be fine with anything down to that or up to a 700x28.
  • Spender1330
    Spender1330 Posts: 11
    Thanks for that - so basically 700 x 22-28 and I should be fine. And maybe wait ti ll I need new tyres before buying any.

Got that.

Much appreciated.
    The difference between ordinary and extraordinary.......is just that little extra
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Note that tyre "size" can be very variable, You can take two nominal 28mm tyres, one is really a 25 the other a 32. The fatter one wont fit on many race bikes.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    And maybe wait ti ll I need new tyres before buying any.

Got that.

Much appreciated.

Might as well wear out the ones you have. No sense in wasting good rubber.

Dennis Noward
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    use them over the winter...get something nice for summer -massive difference .... 22 quid/tyre bargin Conti 4000s available online