Bike to work scheme (not buying a bike!!)

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
Hello all

Last year I got myself a nice Orange P7 on the bike to work scheme. The scheme starts again next week but I'm not getting another bike (yes, I know, shame on me! :lol: ). What I do want to do is use it to buy gear. However, because the deal is so good, I know that basically I need to identify everything I might need over the coming year so this thread is a request for ideas.

What I have already is:
Decent rain jacket
Decent wind stopper fleece
Cheap light set
Basic tool kit (the sort you pay about 40-50 quid for)
Helmet

Things I think I might need include:
Chain wear tool
Panniers for the tourer
Seat post bag for the MTB (Vaude ones look promising)
Hope 1 front light
Shorts/top/base layers
Better shoes than my Lidls
Turbo trainer
Cable cutters
Repair stand

The big question is: Anything else I might need??? Obviously, I can't get any components for the bike. Specific recommendations appreciated but really I just want to make sure I don't forget anything important. I'd like to do most of my own servicing.
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You have to buy a bike though... :?
  • rolf_f
    M.Cole wrote:
    You have to buy a bike though... :?

No you don't - you can buy 'safety gear' without neccessarily buying a bike. Safety gear being anything that can be argued to help you ride safely. I think as long as it isn't part of the bike itself it is fine. Might depend on what scheme you are in though. People have certainly done it on our scheme.
  • Anonymous
    What scheme are you using?
  • rolf_f
    Cyclescheme. The generic fine print says "bicycles and/or safety equipment" so purchase of a bicycle is not implicit.
  • Anonymous
    That's pretty cool, i've never heard of people buying *only* equipment on it...

Nice work :D
  • cheap light set?! get a night riding set!!
  • Rockhopper
    Rockhopper Posts: 503
    You need to look at the Department of Transports web site for the correct information,

The scheme covers cycles and cyclists safety equipment plus tools etc to allow minor repairs to be carried out.

I don't see how a turbo trainer falls into any of the categories! Plus they specifically say "safety clothing" so high viz and waterpoof kit, not base layers and fancy shoes.
  • kazzie
    kazzie Posts: 23
    I know someone who bought a set of alloy wheels for his car on a cycle to work scheme so I would expect safety gear to be fine :P
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    If you've got a friendly LBS you might get away with a £1000 credit note. My sister got a bike for £350, but used full £1000 voucher so got credit note for rest which i used. The LBS gets a grand don't see why they would care what it's spent on.
  • rolf_f
    Rockhopper wrote:
    I don't see how a turbo trainer falls into any of the categories! Plus they specifically say "safety clothing" so high viz and waterpoof kit, not base layers and fancy shoes.

Well clearly, it is unsafe to cycle outside in winter and therefore, in order to keep in practice, for my own safety, I need a turbo trainer!!

There seems to be some considerable leeway - in practice probably up to what the shop wants to sell you.

Cyclists' safety equipment is not similarly defined in the legislation and a common sense approach should be taken to the equipment provided. This could include:
    Cycle helmets which conform to European standard EN 1078
    Bells and bulb horns
    Lights, including dynamo packs
    Mirrors and mudguards to ensure riders visibility is not impaired
    Cycle clips and dress guards
    Panniers, luggage carriers and straps to allow luggage to be safely carried
    Locks and chains to ensure cycle can be safely secured
    Pumps, puncture repair kits, cycle tool kits and tyre sealant to allow for minor repairs
    Reflective clothing along with white front reflectors and spoke reflectors

It is the employer's choice what safety equipment is offered, but you may wish to confirm with your local tax inspector whether the equipment you provide falls within the tax exemption.
    [/u]
  • Mark\' 62
    Mark\' 62 Posts: 40
    Hello Rolf, i don't know if you will be able to get another voucher if you got one last year, a lad in our place got a £700 voucher last year and thought he would get another one this time around, when he was putting his details in it kept coming up that his national insurance number had already been used for the cycle to work scheme, he was told he had to leave a 12 month gap, as it's a government run scheme i would of thought this applies to everyone, but good luck anyway :wink:
    growing old is compulsory

growing up is optional
  • Rockhopper
    Rockhopper Posts: 503
    At the end of the day you may have to justify your purchases to HMG, the more people who "abuse" the scheme, the more likley this is to happen!
  • rolf_f
    Mark\' 62 wrote:
    Hello Rolf, i don't know if you will be able to get another voucher if you got one last year, a lad in our place got a £700 voucher last year and thought he would get another one this time around, when he was putting his details in it kept coming up that his national insurance number had already been used for the cycle to work scheme, he was told he had to leave a 12 month gap, as it's a government run scheme i would of thought this applies to everyone, but good luck anyway :wink:

Our scheme this year is actually starting earlier than it did last year so, basically, they won't start charging for new vouchers until the previous years payments are complete - so that's a few months extra interest free loan! They've stated this pretty clearly.

I suspect your organisation mismanaged your colleagues request a bit. After all, for example, nobody would suggest if you had an ISA last year you'd have to wait a year for the next one. This is no different.