Gran Fondo Cymru - OFFICIALLY CANCELLED, unofficially ON

As you may be aware, the Gran Fondo Cymru has been cancelled this year following the tragic death of the organiser Jonnie Woodall MBE.

After hearing about Jonnies tragic death a few weeks ago, it had been hoped that an alternative promoter, or organizing team, would have been able to take over this event from Jonnie - but it has now become clear that this will not be possible, since Jonnies event promotion budget will remain in probate as part of his Estate, and with the timing of the funeral, there is just too much to do in such a short space of time for his family, who’s wishes are, of course paramount at this sad time.

With this in mind there is a mounting opinion on other forums that we should ride the course, on the day arranged in memory of Jonnie.

I have both course in Garmin GPX, GPXX and TCX format, so please PM if you want a copy. There were about 1000 riders due to ride the event, so lets try and get at least 100 out there on the day, ride either course and enjoy the day for Jonnie.

I will be doing the Medio Fondo, and i know Dave Lloyd is looking to head a group for the Gran Fondo.

Please lets make an effort, i had the day booked into my diary months ago, and with events booked up in advance, why waste the day. We can still ride the course and enjoy the scenery.

See you there
Just a fat bloke on a bike

Comments

• bs147
    bs147 Posts: 164
    I like this idea! I was looking forward to a nice sunny windless day! Has a start time been agreed upon?
  • No start time yet.

Watch this space.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I was not going to ride it this year but have ridden the previous events so may do it in honour of Johnnie.
    Anyone camping out in the campsites up there night before?
  • bs147
    I had a less than good nights sleep whilst camping last year due to bank holiday scallies so I'll drive up from Northampton early that day!
  • pugwashcp
    pugwashcp Posts: 120
    I've got the Midland Monster the week before and the Pontcysllte aqueduct challenge the week after so if I'd be up for a relaxed spin round the medio route. Don't think I'll be in any shape to keep up with one of Mr Lloyds groups!!

The route's fairly local to me so I'll be driving down on the day.
    He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • MartinJ
    MartinJ Posts: 104
    This seems a really good idea. It's been a really bad year for accidents involving prominant cyclists. To ride the GFC would be a fitting tribute to Johnnny and others.... It was a great event last year - despite the wind over the ranges and the rain later on. I would be keen on doing the long route at about 15mph pace would be good the section to Lake Vyrnwy and back was the highlight in my opinion). How about a start around 8am or 8.30am?
  • Would an 8am start be acceptable?

it will give people time to travel and get ready, and give us a head start before our 4 wheel friends get out and about.
  • pugwashcp
    8am sounds good to me.
  • bs147
    Fine for me! I'm another one for the 'less fast' group!
  • Great to hear that you are all upto replicating the route. I have passed the message onto my fellow club members who are planning the same thing,

If you are like me and rapidly cancelled their accommodation perhaps too early, you may be interested in the following:

I have been looking around for alternative events. A week later, an audax heads for Bala from Shrewsbury and venture upto the Bwlch-y-Groes and Bala as used by the GFC. It looks like equal fun.

Anybody interested?

200km. http://www.aukweb.net/cal/calsolo.php?Ride=09-156 http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Four-Rivers-Audax

160km. http://www.aukweb.net/cal/calsolo.php?Ride=09-155 http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Three-Rivers-Audax
  • When it was cancelled I decided to keep the accommodation and do the ride on my own. Now I've seen you are meeting up too I'll try to join you. I did the long route last year and suffered in the cold and rain yet still had a great time. I might be a bit slow for you so am not worried if I get dropped. I did it in 9h 30m last year but hopefully the weather won't be so windy this year.
    The day beforehand I hope to put out some water/food out on the course (at least in the car park they used as the final refreshment stop) to pick up on the way round.
    I'll wear a black armband for Jonnie Woodall.
    Jan
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Thats sad news.
  • pieinthesky
    pieinthesky Posts: 417
    I have been planning to do the ride anyway. I dont use GPS and have been meaning to write out a route sheet (Audax style) rather than mess with maps etc.

If anyone could use a copy, let me know and I will post it on here.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I'll be there. Loved this sportive last year - sorry to hear the bad news.

Switched to the Medio last year after the wind and rain over the Ranges(?), but would love to do the last section which I've heard is superb.

With that in mind and as it's not a sportive I might cut a few corners early on and do something like this route. (About 25km and 250m of climbing less than the Gran Fondo)
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Cymru-Fondo-Hybrid

Will be on a 20-22kmph pace - much slower going up - (8h30?).

Anyone staying in Bala the night before and after? I think I'll be and riding over from the train at Ruabon on Sat and back on Mon. Anyone know if the A5 is ok to ride from there?
    exercise.png
  • I've put the route on bikely with a cue sheet. see http://www.bikely.com/cuesheet/route/292248 but would be interested to see if your audax style one is better. I prefer paper "audax style" instruction to using GPS.

Jan
  • I have been away on holiday, hence my lack of responses. Mike (Pieinthesky) you have a PM, please email me.

Good to see some more riders that will turn up. Please come and join us.
  • GiantPete
    GiantPete Posts: 14
    Hi,

Myself and some friends had places in this event and are also still planning to go to Bala for the weekend staying in Campsite by Lake Bala a few miles away. We WERE planning to ride the 2007 route (I did the event in 2007) because my favorite bit from that ride (Llanberis pass) seems to be missing from 2008 and 2009 routes. However if there is a suitable group doing this years route I would like to join them.

I am not sure what pace we could achieve I suspect 13-14mph 'moving' average. However not being an actual sportive with food stops provided I may prefer to stop a bit longer than normal at any suitably placed cafes/pubs/shops, make it a day ride 'touring style'. Is anyone up for this approach or are you all planning to keep moving? At the least I would need to stop at shops/garages to fill up with drink and buy snacks.

Would you all be meeting at the same centre/community hall place as in 2007?

Pete.
  • paulcass1
    paulcass1 Posts: 6
    2 more definitely planning to go and do Grand Fondo route on Sunday, see you all there, 8 am seems a good time.

the long route and gpx is here too:

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... urse=50381
  • I'll be there by 8am. We are staying in a B&B up the road from the leisure centre. If I find a group my pace I'll be pleased to stay with them and take the same breaks but ideally I'd prefer to not take too long over them.
  • Hi
    I am planning to do the Grand Fondo on Sunday as I had already paid for my accomodation (staying in Bala) was going to do on my own but noticed that many of you are also planning to do the ride too. Could I join in and meet at 8am too? Where are you planning to meet up? I am happy to go at a 20 -22mph pace.

Thanks Steve
  • TheStone
    I've altered my route again. I'm planning to do the Gran Fondo, but cutting out the A5/Betws/A498 section, so not too tired to do the extra climbing on the far side of Bala lake.
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Cy ... o-Hybrid-2

Will be there at 8am and aiming for 13-14mph pace, so should be past by most towards the end.

Anyone staying the night before/after?
    exercise.png
  • Meeting point is at
    EVENT H.Q. + START & FINISH LOCATION: Pen-llyn Leisure Centre, Pensarn Road, Bala, Gwynedd, North Wales, LL23 7SR

Jan
  • About 80 riders turned up today to ride the Gran Fondo event.

A cold misty start soon turned into a hot glorious day.

I had the pleasure of riding with Mr Pugwash ( his real name is Dave dont tell anyone) and what a delight it was too. Dave i really enjoyed your company mate, thanks for the tow up some of the hills, it was a toughie.

Once again i had a mechanical problem on this event, so we took the short cut back from Betys Coed. Still managed a 66 mile ride, lumpy too.

Got back a few minutes before Dave Lloyd...well ok he did do the full route in about 6:20.

It seems Jonnie arranged some good weather for us, thanks mate.
  • pugwashcp
    Cheers Howie.

Despite mechanicals it was a cracking day in the saddle. Really enjoyed myself. That first section from Bala to Ysbyty Ifan is one of my favourites and riding it in glorious sunshine with good company and nothing in the way of traffic was a pure joy.

If Jonnie did have a word about the weather then I have him to thank for some superb tan lines. :D

Let's hope the event is back in 2010. It's a superb route and anyone that takes over the reins can count on my support.
  • Thanks for the really enjoyable ride on Sunday with Kevin, Paul and Ian. Really enjoyed your company, the weather, the route, scenery, climbs (well except the last one when it started to really hurt, luckily the views were spectacular). I was so lucky to ride with you and I appreciate your excellent pacing. I finished in 9.05. Thanks Jonnie for the weather, I am sure he was looking after us.

All the best for your other rides - particularly good luck with PBP in the future.

Jan
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Great weekend for it. Marginally better than the end of last years eh ? ;-)

Jonnie must have had a special meeting to sort it out for us.
  • TheStone
    Great weekend. Weather was perfect.
    Coming over the Ranges I couldn't believe it was the same place as last year.

In the end we took a short cut south at Betws and called it a day before the climbs on the other side of the lake. Was such a nice day, some beers in Bala seemed a good option. Just over 100km.

Got passed by the Dave Lloyd group twice (second time there was only one other left).

Anyone else have problems from drivers? I didn't feel very liked.

Edit to add: anyone know who was taking the pictures at the top of the Ranges?
    exercise.png
  • MartinJ
    MartinJ Posts: 104
    Had a great ride on Sunday. Did the full route in about 8½ hours (8 hours ride time).

As usual I got left by the fast group on the first climb! Met up with Steve from St Helens and we rode round together. Thanks Steve for the company.

It was great to enjoy the ride in good weather and not have to battle last years wind across the ranges. Though the climb up the Bwlch finished me off - it was a real test of determination to climb out of the Tanat Valley.

A great day to pay tribute to Johnny and his contribution to cycling. I wonder if the event will be staged next year?

It was my wife taking photos at the summit of the ranges. We will work out how to post the images on the web and put a link in this thread.
  • kcass
    kcass Posts: 6
    Thanks to you too Jan - for the chats and the routesheet and for knowing where there was a tap in Betwys. Hope the Marmotte goes well. PBP? I'm going to have to do some saddle testing before i can ride for 60/70 hours.

Ian - Great to know you - maybe we'll meet on an audax out of Shrewsbury/Telford one day.

That has to be my favorite ride so far. The cycle across Snowdonia National Park will stay in the memory for a long time. I'll be doing a lot of riding in Wales in the future I think.

Same time, same place next year ?

Kevin
  • idw
    idw Posts: 11
    The route, weather, day was absolutely superb. I do have to say a massive thanks to jan, kevin and paul for getting me round, I didn't have time before hand to download the route to my garmin but thanks to those 3 waiting for me at the top of the climbs I wasn't left abandoned in the middle of Wales, something that did cross my mind everytime the route went up and I went backwards! Thanks guys.