The colour white

teamcrane
teamcrane Posts: 64
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
I know from experience that white bar tape, in a short time ends up, especially after repairing a puncture looking very grubby. What I would like to know however is how long will a white carbon frame stay white i.e.,without yellowing and how this colour behaves in terms of showing up or hiding scratch marks?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Paint shouldn't yellow (unless it's a Wilier, then it's a warranty claim!) Keeping the frame clean, avoiding corrosive cleaning agents and a regular application of wax polish should keep your white gleaming. I don't recommend Bike Tape on white - the edges show up the dirt and it's a pain to apply.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Any frames I've had either all white or part white have seemed to outlast any other colour as far as durability of finish goes. Perhaps the pigment makeup is tougher and more chip resistant than in most other paints, or maybe I have just been lucky.
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    In my opinion it is the opposite of black not only in appearance but also durability and lasting appeal.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    My Bianchi 928 is white, including the bar tape and saddle. Expect the saddle to pick up the odd dirty smudge or mark, the bar tape to darken significantly within weeks (think I might replace mine with Black tape and change the hoods from black to Celeste) and the frame to remain blemish free so long as it's wiped down after rides. As it goes, this last point is actually made easier IMO because the dirt which requires removal stands out better on white than it does with another colour.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think white frames are fine. I'd not faff with white tape or saddles myself - but thats up to the owner.

Fashion eh ?
  • White bar tape, looks very good dirtys very easily, white frames dont yellow (well not as long as you'll have it!) and they look very very sexy i have a Trek 1.7 08 and the white is stunning dw about it. Also dirt shows up more on white frame obv.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    BTW Fizik bar tape cleans easily - no padding mind but looks great.
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    White frames don't discolour but they are a pain to keep clean! Every little mark shows up and if you get a little but of grease on the sponge when you;re washing it you end up with horrible grease smears that are a pain to get off without resorting to white spirit... it wouldn't put me off buying one, but if I had the choice I might go for a coloured frame.