Helmet bug net

Chris Swansea
Chris Swansea Posts: 78
edited August 2014 in Road beginners
Does anyone know if any sort of aftermarket bug net exists for helmets? My Giro collected 4 this weekend including some sort of bee / wasp type creature. I have never stopped and de-lidded quicker!
Trying my best to do 300 miles a month on and off road.

Comments

• doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Does anyone know if any sort of aftermarket bug net exists for helmets? My Giro collected 4 this weekend including some sort of bee / wasp type creature. I have never stopped and de-lidded quicker!

Spiuk helmets have a curious little mesh under their helmet. Doesn't help you though unless you want to change helmets.
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    I've been thinking the same after getting stung on the top of my noggin after a wasp flew into my helmet during a ride last summer.
    My wife's Met helmet has a mesh built into the front vents, but m Giro is lacking this :(
    I'm in the market for a proper"road" helmet, I'll bet that I won't find one with the mesh as an option though.
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I wear a "trade cap" under my lid, not primarily for that reason but it may help.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Flasheart wrote:
    I'm in the market for a proper"road" helmet, I'll bet that I won't find one with the mesh as an option though.

Rudy Project helmets come with a detachable mesh on the inside.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Black (women's) hairnets, bought from a chemist or tesco, stretched over the helmet will
    do the trick. 2 in a packet for 99 pence. That's what I use.
  • Maander - damned fine idea. Is the mesh fine enough to keep out most critters or just wasps/bees/horseflies etc?
    Trying my best to do 300 miles a month on and off road.
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Thanks Gary H, they don't look that bad and £24.00 from Ribble too
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Chris,

One might be fine, two would be better. I use 2. Black is the most common colour. If that's
    not an option, the stores mentioned will always have grey or brown ones instead.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Mmmm stylish !

I've never had a problem with insects in my helmet yet - and none of my helmets had mesh.

I do wear a buff underneath the helmet - but I honestly dont recall getting a bug in there in 1000s of miles.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Forget about mesh,just get a well vented helmet.I used to get bugs get stuck in my giro helmet until I bought one with better venting and now they come straght out again and my head doesn`t get hot or bitten.It`s an atmos helmet.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I have had a bee in my bonnet - literally! It isn't a nice experience and makes you quite paranoid, so i got a Spiuk Nexion a couple years ago and it has been fine. The netting and the pads are all in one so cleaning is a doddle.

I think you can also get replacement netting and the only problem I can see is fixure in another helmet.
  • Bump,
    Rather than buying a new helmet and looking like Ena Sharples on wheels , are there any after market ultra fine nets you can buy.
    I got a wasp in my Specialized s works helmet the other day which decided to leave it's mark. Now every time someone talks to me they just stare at the extra head sat on the top of my bald striped helmet tan
  • Check out Castellis summer skull cap. I had the same problem with bugs running through my hair before I got one of these. It's not nice trying to scratch an itch that you can't reach whilst still having one hand on the bars trying to steer properly.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    De Sisti wrote:
    Black (women's) hairnets, bought from a chemist or tesco, stretched over the helmet will

I was about to suggest fish net tights but this seem far more sensible and less embarrassing at the checkout!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • While I was riding yesterday, I was thinking about how annoyed I am with most of the big name helmet manufacturers because they have the guts to charge insane prices for about $1 worth of materials (foam and plastic), yet they can't even put a simple screen in the vents to keep bugs out. It's not like manufacturers don't know that bugs get in the vents.

My last helmet was a LAS, which is an Italian brand that I had to buy on eBay because LBS's in the USA don't carry them, because it had built-in vent screens. I liked the helmet a lot, but it's getting old so I replaced it with a Giro that I got a good price. I'm thinking that was a bad mistake because I'm constantly dealing with bugs in my helmet.

I have yet to see any aftermarket product for keeping bugs out. All I can think of is to try a "skull cap", but I'm thinking my brain would over-heat with one of those(?)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    De Sisti wrote:

I was about to suggest fish net tights but this seem far more sensible and less embarrassing at the checkout!

I think the OP is having problems with insects rather than fish. But I'm sure there is a place for fish nets on cycle helmets.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    There's a place for fish nets on just about anything!
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    The 5th rule of cycling comes to mind.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    BrandonA wrote:
    The 5th rule of cycling comes to mind.

That.

Although a Buff is also good!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I just wear a cycling cap under my helmet...job done.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    I've been thinking about cutting shapes out of net fabric and glueing them inside the vents.
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    ok so maybe its karma but after reading this topic yesterday and laughing at the thought of some people sticking fish nets on there head i have just been stung on the head... Puts a real dampner on your ride thats for sure.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    After having an encounter with a wasp one night I've been looking at something to stop it happening again and have been looking at off cuts of mesh material and fit it between the pads and the helmet with holes cut for the velcro.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • A possible solution, resembling the lycra helmet covers of the 90's...

https://helmethoodie.com/cart/viewCategory.cfm?categoryID=1&currentPage=1

I also found that the helmet company Limar makes some nice looking helmets that have bug screens built-in. What's also nice is that they have a lot of helmets to choose from for under $100.

limar_777_white_1.jpg
  • Pezzle
    Pezzle Posts: 27
    Bump,
    Rather than buying a new helmet and looking like Ena Sharples on wheels , are there any after market ultra fine nets you can buy.

Sorry nothing more to add on the after market net situation. But wanted to thank bing gorden for the best belly laugh I've had in a while. Yes old enough to remember Ena :-)