Looking for a good strong pair of training wheels

whydoesitalwaysrainonme
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
Hi
as stated above i am looking for a strong pair of training wheels, am not fussed about weight as long as they do not weigh too much above 3kg for the pair (was the weight of my previous wheels). I am looking at the planet x model Cs they are the same as the model Bs but with more spokes. does anybody know if these are reliable wheels?
cheers Jamie
Ribble Gran Fondo
Focus Black Hills
Raleigh Chopper

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The Bs are 99 quid at the moment and are very very good value for money. They are strong enough for most people. Otherwise the Cs are fine.
  • gdgd will go for the Cs, providing nobody has had problems with them?
    my last wheels were rubbish popped about 4 spokes haven even had them for a year yet.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    If you're looking at the model C's at £175 (for Shimano) I would suggest you get in touch with Harry Rowland as he was doing 32 spoke Mavic Open Pro's on Novatec Hubs for £190 and no disrespect to Planet X but I think Harry's wheels would be much more durable/reliable. If you really want strong you could get some built up at 36 spokes - again Harry would be worth speaking to.

I agree with Napoleon D that the Model B's are a very good buy at £99 but I can't speak about reliability .... I am considering getting a pair for training myself.... but I'll probably save for some handbuilt 32 spoke jobs instead - maybe from Harry, even though it will cost me more.

ScottieP
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Aksiums have a good rep for being durable

but I'd go handbuilt without a doubt - OPs on a Shimano hubs, DT DB spokes and straight gauge on the driveside, brass nipples. Tight and tough.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    Would CXP33 rims be stronger than Open Pros? Never owned the latter, so no idea how the two compare, but I would guess that the v-shape of the 33s would be stronger than the rectangular Open Pros.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Open pro's on 105 hubs cheap and if built properly will last a few good seasons.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.