Summer jersey. Assos or Rapha?

2»

Comments

• The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    I got a Rapha jersy for Christmas and only wore it for the first time last weekend. I was brill. Even though I was soaked from hte rain and wearing my rain jacket throughout, the jersy was nice and dry. I usually wear a light wicking base layer under a jersy simply becaue I don't like having the bib straps again my skin. I find it a bit uncomfortable. When it is colder (Should have had it on last weekend) I wear a long sleave Icebreaker merino base layer. Get one of these if it is the last bit of clothing you buy. Absolutely top class kit.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • akkers
    akkers Posts: 140
    Just got my Assos SS 13 jersey.....its a different gravy boys.

What I would say is Rapha gear is more for urban commuting even though its excellent quality - it is more a fashion statement. But if your out on the roads doing good mileage, its Assos all the way

Just my opinion from someone who wears both

Although on the issue of baselayers, I love the Rapha merino wools. Got a 3 pack, and theyre superb.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm not sure what qualities a top brings you really ?

OK I want it nice looking, fitting ok and with pockets in - but other than that - I dont want to notice it when riding ?
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    I haven't tried any Assos ones (I dread to think how fat I'd look in one), but they seem to be designed for really good weather only (and no doubt work superbly). The advantage of a Rapha Sportswool top is that you can wear it on its own on good weather (haven't worn one on a really hot day as we haven't had one where I live for about 3 years), but you can wear warmer baselayers on cooler days (no need for a baselayer in good weather, IMO), and if you add arm warmers, it will do you over the best part of 3 seasons. In fact, it can act as a pretty good mid layer under a shell in the winter. And they look good enough for wearing off bike if you ride a lot around the city. So for me, you get a lot more use for the money from a Rapha top. In fact, I'd almost go as far as to say they are actually very good value for what you get.
  • storck
    storck Posts: 64
    Might be worth considering but you ge free arm warmers with Rapha top,great fit and look great,both tops are great quality and im sure will last some time.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I wore my Rapha sportwool one on a ride for the first time yesterday, awesome stuff. I tried on a new Rapha 'Lightweight' jersey today, very good quality but, erm, a bit see through in white! I bought a Gilet to complement the Jersey today :D
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I do have a Rapha LS top that I got in a sale. Its very nice - but so far I've not actually worn it on the bike ! Great for round town though !
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    The lightweight jersey is very nice. That and an old castelli one are my two hot weather tops. Rarely wear any of my Assos tops these days.