FEEDBACK NEEDED! please read

Galli1991
Galli1991 Posts: 10
edited May 2009 in XC and Enduro
does anybody think there is serious need for a product which stops your tyres becoming clogged up with mud, especially in XC rides?
OR does anyone know of something on the market which already solves this problem?

really appreciate anyone getting back to me, thanks :D

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    I once heard that silicone spray was good for stopping tyres getting clogged up, although I've never tried it.
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • s-worksenduro
    s-worksenduro Posts: 172
    Just need to ride faster, mud flies off the tyres then...
    2009 Giant Anthem X2
    2009 On One Il Pompino in SS CX mode!
    2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • Galli1991
    yeah thats a good point haha
    are those tyre savers any good?
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    Used to use those tyre savers (on ones like them) to stop grit and small stones becoming embedded in tubular tyres, doubt they would be effective at clearing mud from nobbly tyres, but others may have experience to the contrary.
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    For very muddy conditions, I think the best solution is to go for a narrow tyre, so you have lots of clearance room with the fork/frame of the bike - say a 1.8 or even 1.5. Also, make sure brake/gear cables etc. are neatly tucked away wherever tyres near the frame, to prevent them catching mud and causing a nastly buildup. A heavy tread pattern with big spaces between knobs then gives a good combination of grip/clearance.
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    Regardless of how fast you go, you need some mud tyres for really muddy conditions. Bontrager Mud-X are very good. The only problem is if the conditions are mixed or dramatically change then mud tyres on drying trails can be a nightmare. A point worth noting is that the overseas bike manufacturers don't give as much consideration to mud clearance as it's maybe not a concern for them in their country so if you want a mud machine...maybe stick with a British built bike or if you have a foreign bike, get some smaller tyres as mentioned above (i.e. 1.9's) to give you a little more clearance.

I've ridden with the wrong tyres in really muddy conditions and when the mud started to dry it picked up rocks the size of your fist and large sticks which were big enough to snap spokes or jam in my jockey wheels. I had to stop every few hundred yards to clean off my tyres so my wheels could turn again, then my transmission would lock up with chainsuck or debris jammed into it so I would have to stop and clean that, then the wheels would stop turning again...a 45 minute lap turned into a 2 hour 20 minute walk (Sleepless In The Saddle 2008.)...grim! I learned a valuable lesson though :)

Good luck!

Si
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • tomxc
    tomxc Posts: 139
    Just need to ride faster, mud flies off the tyres then...
    thats fine for people on bikes like yours.....fwooor....tis a beast... :oops: :D
    up, up, up, down, up, up, down, up, dowwwn...yep sounds good to me :)
    http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt6/ ... MG0201.jpg
  • Galli1991
    hmmmm cheers ppl :D
    am i the only one who thinks a company needs to design a decent solution to mud plugging?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Pretty much any new mud-specific tyre will clear very quickly. IME the carcass inbetween the tread blocks is either made from a different compound or coated with something (release compound ?) and the mud just drops off. The worst thing you can do is spray Muc-off on the tyres or ride through sand - it reduces the mud-clearing ability.
  • Tubster
    Tubster Posts: 10
    I think that evidence is suggesting that a product may not be required! I just bunny hop like mad to clear any build up on the tyres and keep riding. Plus using a mud tyre pretty much keeps build up under control. I can't say that it has presented as a signficant problem for my riding. Now I've said that I will probably get caught in a torrent and have to walk home with an unrideable bike !!