advice for sore hands required please

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
Thanks in advance

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    gloves are probably the easiest solution, after that try some ergon grips, they've got a broad section that lots of people really rate for hand pain.

A shorter more upright stem will put less weight on your hands, but will also make the steering faster so the bike will feel a bit twitchy at first. It'll also wonder a little on the climbs.
  • Anonymous
    Thanks, I have just ordered the Ergon GC2 Grips from merlin cycles, they look wierd but I will give them a try. Next step if they don't work will be a stem, any recommendations for a stem thats suits the above brief? wieght not an issue
  • megacityman
    megacityman Posts: 20
    I imagine a wider set of handlebars would benefit you as well. I changed from a 640mm bar to 710mm with the ergon gc2 grips, and noticed straight away the difference, more comfy and can ride for longer
  • blablablacksheep
    blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
    have you considered its the fork? maybe it needs adjusting.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    You could look at bar height and perhaps consider raising it. If you have any spacers above the stem then move them below and try it out.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Furkuk
    Furkuk Posts: 71
    Perhaps you are gripping the bars too tight. I always hold the bars with a very light grip. Try adjusting the way you hold the bars. Gloves just make you sweat and I would imaging that would make it worse :D
    Now the owner of a GT Aggressor XC 3
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    From the info you've given I would suspect perhaps the bars are too low, or the saddle is too far forward. Try bringing the saddle back ever so slightly, and you'll put less pressure on the bars.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Also check your brake position. Ideally you want a nice relaxed line from your forearms into your wrists and hands - if your wrist has to bend for you to reach the levers then they are not in the right position.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Daz555 wrote:
    Also check your brake position. Ideally you want a nice relaxed line from your forearms into your wrists and hands - if your wrist has to bend for you to reach the levers then they are not in the right position.

I was going to suggest similar, make sure the brake lever is nicely in line with your braking finger too. If not move them in a bit.
  • Anonymous
    Thanks all, My brake levers are in the correct position.

No spacers above my stem :(

Will try moving saddle back a bit tomorrow and maybe turning the bars so the rise is more towards me?

Will have the ergon grips tomorrow so hopefully a combination of things will sort the problem.

Was starting to think I have bought the wrong bike :-s Have I? :roll:
  • greboguru
    greboguru Posts: 4
    Hi,

Let us know if the new grips / changing the saddle position works for you. I'm also suffering at the moment from sore wrists and palms so I'd be interested in knowing how you get on - I'll be looking at my saddle position etc at the weekend.

Anybody any comments on the Specialized BG grips?