Wheels for large bloke doing light touring and road riding

DaKid
DaKid Posts: 789
edited May 2009 in Tour & expedition
Heya,

I've just had another couple of spokes break in my rear wheel and, although the bike shop will repair it for me under warranty (I believe), I'm thinking about upgrading the wheels. I'm 21 stone, and have managed 800 miles without any spokes breaking, but in the last 100 I've had three spokes go, so I think it's definitely time.

I currently have the standard wheels that came with my '07 Spesh Tricross Sport, and was thinking about maybe spending £200-£300 (definitely under 300) on some good 32-hole and/or 36-hole wheels. I ride with 28mm tyres, if that makes a difference. I'll be doing mostly road riding, but occasional longer distances, and maybe some light touring (although probably staying in B&Bs).

Any comments, please?

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
<i>Mark Twain</i>

Comments

• sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    a good set of hand built open pro's built by Paul Hewitt (Chorley/Leyland, Lancs) for about £250/260 ish will be perfect for you
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Talk to a wheelbuilder. If you haven't got one near you try Spa Cycles in Harrogate. You probably need to go down the 36-spoke route. Rigida Sputniks are very good heavy-duty rims, heavier than Open Pros (which are also good rims).
  • DaKid
    Thanks guys. Have emailed both of them, and will chat to my LBS as well :)
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    I am also a heavy rider at around 16st. I have 36h mavic open pros on dt spokes and campag veloce hubs. The wheels were built at Condor in May 2007 and since June 2007 I cannot use the lowest gear (27T) because the wheel softens under load and the rear mech actually touches the spokes. It's been back once for a "rebuild" though I suspect they just tweaked here and there for a couple of minutes - something I am more than capable of. Building a long lasting strong wheel is more than just arbitarily tweaking a the spokes, it is a skill which unfortunately a lot of unskilled people think they can do.

I haven't bothered rebuilding that wheel - it's on a bike I rarely ride on hills steep enough to require the gear I can't use. Of course I should a) get the wheel rebuilt properly by a decent wheel builder, and b) change the cassette to something more appropriate for the riding I am now doing on that bike, maybe.

In the past I had a Spec Allez whose rear wheel was very poorly built. Three broken spokes and as many visits back to Evans. Persuaded me to go a bit more bespoke, hence Condor. In future I will not be buying complete bikes, but going a completely bespoke as you simply don't get what you need unless you ask for it. I bought a Thorn Raven last year and was very clear about the strength I was looking for out of the wheels. Several thousand kms later, and the wheel build has been very good.

anyway, there's good advice from others on this forum, I just wanted to give you my experience.
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • DaKid
    Special K wrote:
    I am also a heavy rider at around 16st.

LOL ... now you make me feel REALLY heavy!

Thanks for the advice. Some interesting points, and I shall bear it in mind :)
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    :oops:

Sorry.
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    Big Al at Wheelcraft, near Glasgow (if you are located in Scotland) is an expert. Give him your details and what you want the wheels for and he will advise. He also posts if you are not local. others to consider are Harry Rowland and of course, Paul Hewitt is as good as it gets.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Hary Rowland's contact details can be difficult to find. His phone number is on his webpage:

http://www.rstocker.freeserve.co.uk/harry.htm

He's in Ramsgate if that makes any difference. Very helpful.
  • Ryedaleman
    Ryedaleman Posts: 68
    I would also highly recommend Spa cycles. The best wheels I have ever had (am 50odd and do 5000+ miles pa) Eighteen months old now, still true, even survived a bad crash with a dog that my pelvis didnt.