Clash of the Giro sprinters

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited May 2009 in Pro race
With Bennati out and now McEwen, I am pretty disappointed as it doesn't look like the sprints are going to be that competitive. However, if it turns out to be a Petacchi vs Cavendish battle then we could be talking.

Have I got all the worthy sprinters here:
Allessandro Petacchi
Robert Hunter
Mark Cavendish
Tyler Farrar
Filippo Pozzato
Allan Davis
Graeme Brown
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    edited May 2009
    Have I got all the worthy sprinters here:
    Allessandro Petacchi <- Past it
    Robert Hunter <- Never had it in the first place
    Mark Cavendish
    Tyler Farrar <- Got lucky once
    Filippo Pozzato <- Not a sprinter
    Allan Davis <- Not fast enough
    Graeme Brown <- Still annoyed that Bos has nicked his "craziest mofo in the peloton" crown

There.
  • lucybears
    lucybears Posts: 366
    Graeme Brown DNS
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Cav will be using 1 leg again I suppose :wink:
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    lucybears wrote:
    Graeme Brown DNS

Just as well - I'd be worried about what Brown would do to get that title back off Bos...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • frenchfighter
    Graeme Brown is down on the provisional start list - has he been injured or something?

Petacchi has won 8 races already this year and he has the most wins ever for a sprinter at 170 or so - it would be a little premature to write him off IMO.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Is Julian Dean going? He may have a go...
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Fair enough about Petacchi. I didn't realise he's beaten Bennati twice this year.

Julian Dean, though... I have no idea how he got the reputation of being a sprinter. By my reckoning, the only races he's won since 2003 have been TTTs with Garmin and the NZ road championships. He speaks English and he wears a stand-out kit. I guess that's enough to get him noticed by commentators.
  • lucybears
    Graeme Brown is down on the provisional start list - has he been injured or something?
    If you mean the CN provisional start list, that was 'prepared' before the Rabo team announcement today.
    http://startlist.cyclingfever.com/start ... t&id=19119
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That's probably why I suggested him - he is easy to pick out in a bunch sprint!! Heh heh, now you mention it I don't think I've witnessed him win owt!
  • frenchfighter
    lucybears wrote:
    If you mean the CN provisional start list, that was 'prepared' before the Rabo team announcement today.

Steady on lucie luce, I was asking a question as I wasn't aware; not saying you were wrong. A reasonable response would have been: Yep, GB is out on the latest startlist due to...'. And no need to belittle CN's (or other source's) attempts at providing this information - it is better to have something which is about 90% right than nothing at all.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Think it depends on how Cav's legs cope with the mountains, the Dolomiti hit at stage 3 or 4, will be a good test to see if he will be able to make it all the way to Paris for the green jersey later on.
  • lucybears
    lucybears wrote:

Steady on lucie luce, I was asking a question as I wasn't aware; not saying you were wrong. A reasonable response would have been: Yep, GB is out on the latest startlist due to...'. And no need to belittle CN's (or other source's) attempts at providing this information - it is better to have something which is about 90% right than nothing at all.

Steady on frogfighter, I was not belittling CN's attempts at providing information, just explaining why they are wrong about GB (and it is a perfectly good reason that does not detract from their efforts). I applaud any site that attempts to bring us cycling fans information and recommend that for startlists you also visit Piet van Zutphen's http://cyclingstartlists.com/
  • lucybears
    AND they are updating it :)