Buying advice on Guess SC1scandium road frame

squeakyclean
squeakyclean Posts: 16
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
Hi all, I am looking at buying a road bike frame for a bike build project.

I am looking at the Guess SC1 scandium frame, but do not know how good scandium is?

If anyone owns one, I would be grateful for the advice?

Thanks Martin
Ride like the wind......

Comments

• brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    I was speaking to a guy about a cross frame this week. He advised me that scandium builds into a much snappier race frame with better power transfer than 7000 grade alu. Of course the materials properties iin the end product are only as good as the frame builder and the wheelset/rubber you match it up with!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Scandium is an aluminium alloy - but it is stiffer and lighter than most - tubing is very thin and heat treated and is much enjoyed by bigger or stronger riders - lightweights might find it quite harsh. Downside is that impact or crash damage is not too good because of the thin walled tubes. Good for road racing but less so for sportives and long rides on rougher roads
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Scandium is an aluminium alloy

Scandium is an element :wink:

However when people talk about scandium frames they do mean Al alloys containing scandium :lol:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Appeciate the advice Guys. I think on that note I may stick to getting a Carbon or Ali frame, better to be safe than sorry.

If anyone knows of a decent secondhand frame for sale please let me know. Looking for a 58cm.

Thanks.
    Ride like the wind......
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    I may be selling a nearly perfect speedster frame and addict fork by the end of the week. Im waiting to hear on the availability of a cyclocross frame. Its 58 c to t on seat tube. 565 actual 575 virtual top tube. Same as this but liveried as an S60.

http://www.langsettcycles.co.uk/product ... oad_Racing

10 months old. Got too many road bikes and want to try cross so need to change. Only defect is some chipped paint at mudguard mounts on seat stays. £420 frame i want £150. Will know in the next few days.