Dreadful news

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited May 2009 in Amateur race

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Horrible horrible news, his poor family.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    My condolences go out to his wife and family - a terrible tradgedy.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Sad news indeed.
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Awful news ,I'm so sorry for his family.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Just seen this on the local news - that's tragic. My thoughts are with his loved ones and friends.

My thoughts also with the organising club (Icknield RC) many of whom I know well (actually I'm 2nd claim to them) - they will be devastated that this has happened on one of their promotions.

I've got to say I haven't ridden any events on the F1 courses in the last 3 years - just seemed to be getting too risky for the want of a quick time.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Likewise... the F1 used to be deserted on a Sunday morning but there are no safe roads anywhere now.

Our club had a rider struck whilst warming up on the service road next the A1 last weekend.

Beyond a joke now. Where can we go to be safe?
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Likewise... the F1 used to be deserted on a Sunday morning but there are no safe roads anywhere now.

Our club had a rider struck whilst warming up on the service road next the A1 last weekend.

Holland?

That is tragic news. I was marshalling our local club 10 last week and even that made me shudder at times, partly from cars passing cyclists like they weren't there and partly from cyclists pulling across the carriageway at the roundabout without looking.

Maybe i'm getting old but i do wonder in RRs and TTs how much a fast time, 5 BC points or getting where they're going 10 seconds quicker are worth to some people.

RIP.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    There's way too much emphasis within time-trialling on setting PB's on dragstrip courses IMO. I hope this awful incident acts as a spur for change within the sport - is it really sensible to be riding on these sorts of roads?

There are plenty of SPOCO courses available on quiet roads already, but a reluctance from riders to enter these events as they are not "standard" distances. How about a points ranking system being devised so that you are awarded points based on your time as a percentage of the winner's or against a "standard time" for the course? That way, you can still compare yourself to others on a national basis, which is the reason the standard distances evolved in the first place.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Terrible news for all concerned, family and club. My sincere condolances.

What is worrying now is that the tone of reports on the news its seems that TT's in general might be in jepoardy. They keep refering to them as races and before we know any outcome of a police investigation are hinting that because its a race then the cyclist must be at fault.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    markos1963 wrote:
    Terrible news for all concerned, family and club. My sincere condolances.

What is worrying now is that the tone of reports on the news its seems that TT's in general might be in jepoardy. They keep refering to them as races and before we know any outcome of a police investigation are hinting that because its a race then the cyclist must be at fault.

To my mind, if you are struck by a vehicle entering from the slip road it cannot, under any circumstances, be your fault. The report I read made more of the fact that bank holiday traffic was disrupted than the fact that a serving Army major, husband and father of two young children had been killed by inattentive driving.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Bronzie wrote:
    There's way too much emphasis within time-trialling on setting PB's on dragstrip courses IMO. I hope this awful incident acts as a spur for change within the sport - is it really sensible to be riding on these sorts of roads?

There are plenty of SPOCO courses available on quiet roads already

But how safe are these? our club 10 course only goes through two villages and the police are putting limits on riders, start times etc.

We have had near misses here too. Not just bad driving but bad riding on occasions.

I just wish we could go back to less cluttered roads meaning more space for all.
  • SRS Events
    SRS Events Posts: 264
    So sorry to hear this bad news and my sincere condolences to the family and friends of Gareth.