Ribble frames.

martinwitnam
martinwitnam Posts: 439
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at getting a new frame and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the frames made by Ribble cycles? I like the look of the 7005 frames with carbon rear.

Can we fix it?
Yes we can!

Comments

• Steelride
    Steelride Posts: 89
    I built a bike for the gfriend a few months ago and went for the cheapest Ribble 7005 ali frame. Think it was £115 at the time. Build quality seems absolutely fine and felt good to me when I had a short go (a few sizes too small for me). She really likes it.

If you order an Alpina headset at the same time they'll fit it for free. I opted for the Columbus Carve fork which is more than adequate.

For the money, can it be beaten....?
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    friend of mine has several frames by ribble - he's very happy with all of them. Ribble did have a customer service problem a few years back - but they seem to have sorted this now.
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    Ageeing with Steelride.

I built up the cheapest 7005 for a winter hack. It's done two full winters now and still looks like new - very impressive for the money.

One thing to watch is some of the Ribble geometries are a bit unusual. I had to drop a size to get the toptube right.
  • martinwitnam
    martinwitnam Posts: 439
    So are you saying that the frames tend to have a long top tube Zendog?

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • JGS
    JGS Posts: 180
    I went for a 56 instead of a 58/60, so it pays to check their geometry against your expected size bike. As for the frames, I love the huge down tube and fat chainstays on my Audax/Winter trainer, they are so stiff without being too heavy or backbreaking.
  • I've just ordered a 7005 frame bike after a fitting in the Preston shop.

I've gone with a 54cm frame rather than my more usual 56cm.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I think the own brand ones are designed by Terry Dolan... dunno who actually manufactures them tho
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight