Glucosamine!

lesz42
lesz42 Posts: 690
edited June 2009 in Health, fitness & training
it works! ! ( for me)

well at almost 40, (dec) my knees are fairly bad, the left one, gets very painful ,stiff and when its at it worst, get spasms

read about Glucosamine, tried the tablets, wow too big! so got the "activejuice" orange cordial

been taking it for a week, on saturday and today i did much more of the stuff that would set off my knees! and not a hint of pain or anything!?

am well chuffed! conversely i can ride for much longer, harder :)

anyway this sounds too much like a advert

les
Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5

Comments

• I have been a long term user of glucosamine and can heartily recomend it. I found the stuff with Chondroitin added was the most effective.

I was diagnosed as requiring plastic knee replacements for both knees by the time I was 30. It was the after effects of a motorbike smash that saw me pinned back together when I was about 19. I am now 35 and my knees are in better nick now that I can ever remember. In recent years I have taken up snowboarding and mountain biking and my knees are coping admirably. At age 25 I quite often struggled to walk up stairs. The doctor wanted me to take co codamol and ibuprofen permanently and I found it was causing me more problems so binned that idea and decided too seek out alternatives therapies I have had acupuncture and can really recommend it for instant drug free pain relief.
    AUT PAX AUT BELLUM
    My Kayaking Blog http://naefearjustbeer.wordpress.com/
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    ello all

just a follow up, it still works! knees are fine ( so far) i did stop for almost a week, and the pain came back, after a long ride

4 or 5 days after taking it again, it went away, i can enjoy riding so much more now! :D
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • Been using glucosamine on and off for several years on the advice of my surgeon - cant say I've really noticed anything.
    Been using fish oil for the last year - cant say I've really noticed anything.

As I understand it, glucosamine is supposed to take about a month of use to build up in the body to have any noticeable effect so its somewhat surprising to hear such immediate results.

However as far as I can recall, articles published in New Scientist over the last several years relating to Glucosamine/chondroitin have shown no tangible benefits over placebo.

I guess its one of things that needs a lot more research. In the mean time, if it works for you then great! ;)
  • Klein XC
    Klein XC Posts: 35
    However as far as I can recall, articles published in New Scientist over the last several years relating to Glucosamine/chondroitin have shown no tangible benefits over placebo.

I guess its one of things that needs a lot more research. In the mean time, if it works for you then great! ;)

I've also been using gluco/chondoitin on and off, mainly after knee injuries, but I can't be certain whether it's just a placebo effect or not.

However, the Cochrane Review did find that in some studies glucosamine performed better than placebo when treating osteoarthritis, so there might be something in it:

http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab002946.html

I don't think their summary of chondoitin has been completed yet (the full study is available from their online library). As you say, if it works for you, then take it! (it might just be a very expensive placebo - but it's better than knee pain!).
    "Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery." Spike Milligan.
  • militiacore
    militiacore Posts: 101
    Glucosamine isn't bad although I've stopped using it and not noticed too much difference in joint pain. By making some changes to my diet practically all joint pain has now disappeared and this was by simply increasing consumption of good fats and green foods. Fish Oild do help but you need fairly high amounts, say 6g or more. Generally I tend to get in close to 40g of good fats daily.

MSM (MethylSulfonylMethane) is good with joints and is contained in the better Greens Powder drinks which I think any active individual should be supplementing with anyway as part of a healthy diet. Mega Greens is probably one of the best available at the moment. Else you can supplement with MSM seperately.

Cissus is probably the daddy of all joint relief supplements and is strong enough to help relieve sufferers of tendonitus.

Here's a link of a few decent suupelements that may help:

http://www.bulksupplementsdirect.co.uk/ ... m0cbt8p2e0
    Chas Roberts - DOGSBOLX