Video Diary - Col du Lautaret in May

russell_in_france
russell_in_france Posts: 124
edited May 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi all

I managed an early morning ride in the high Alps today to ride to the 2055m Col du Lautaret. I was interested to see if we can expect the Col du Galibier to open in the near future. There's still a load of snow above 1,800 metres and the road to the Galibier hasn't yet been touched.

Here's a video diary of the ride from le Bourg d'Oisans.

http://www.vimeo.com/4456616

Cheers, Russell
www.grenoblecycling.com

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Russell,

Just want to let you know how much I and many others appreciate your efforts & brilliant website! You really give so much of your time to help out others...and thats to be so commended.

Even back in 2004 I managed to plan out my whole intinery through all your info....and your suggestions to head upto La Berarde ended up with me having one of my greatest ever memories.

Top Fella!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Excellent footage thanks indeed for posting it.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • paul27
    paul27 Posts: 515
    Inspiring video, thanks for posting
  • RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    Russell,

Just want to let you know how much I and many others appreciate your efforts & brilliant website! You really give so much of your time to help out others...and thats to be so commended.

Even back in 2004 I managed to plan out my whole intinery through all your info....and your suggestions to head upto La Berarde ended up with me having one of my greatest ever memories.

Top Fella!

Thanks for the kind words. It's difficult to believe that it's been 10 years since I launched the Grenoble Cycling Pages, and that's five years ago that we were in contact and you rode to La Berarde. I did have one unhappy guy write to me because I'd told him that climb wasn't too bad - and he'd hit the wall and turned back on one of the steeper sections. At least you had a good ride up there. :-)

Less time these days with three youngsters - one born two weeks ago - but I still love to get into the mountains on my bike. I think the website gives me great memories of the things I've done, as well as allowing me to help people coming to the Alps. I'm enjoying making the videos and expect to make a number more over the summer when I ride the Marmotte and BRA etc.

Cheers, Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com
  • jongooligan
    jongooligan Posts: 223
    Inspirational Russell. I'd like to echo Richyboy's words. I too used your site to plan my trip in '06. It was the best cycling holiday I've ever had. Still got the picture of me grovelling up the Croix de Fer above my pc.

Was a bit disapointed that you didn't jump onto the back wheel of the motorbike :wink: