ouch

whydoesitalwaysrainonme
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
About 2 weeks ago i bought a Raleigh chopper (2004 re-release not original) fro £30, i thought it would be a bit of fun to thrash around on, after buying the bike i noticed the forks were bent back slightly as they were directly under the headtube instead of pointing forward, i didnt pay a lot of attention to this because if they bend they bend.
So today i went down the small grassy hill and the impact on the front wheel bent the forks right back and the wheel tucked under the frame, now have bad cuts up arms, legs and head.
Ribble Gran Fondo
Focus Black Hills
Raleigh Chopper

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Was meant to be ridden on tarmac really!
  • sorry but.... :lol::lol::lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    the day i learned to ride a bike i got a bit cocky and went for a ride to get a bag of chips with a mate on his own scott and i was on my other mates borrowed '99 p7.

i hit an abandoned moped that some pikeys had left behind and the fork bent straight back, collapsing the downtube, buckling the front wheel and bending the forks. i went flying, landed literally face first as if stood to attention and i never got the chips, i bust my head open and had to pay 605 quid for repairs, thredders.
  • Oh sheepsteeth that sounds terrible... poor person didn't get any chips :lol::lol::lol: .
    I've figured out what i am doing about the forks, i am going to take the forks off of a BMX sitting in my garage and put them on the bike (and spray them red).[/quote]
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    well they don't make em like they used to i guess. i used to do 6 foot (well it felt really high hehe) jumps on my mk3 chopper back in they eighties, though i prolly only weighed 5 stones.

did manage to snap the forks on my raleigh boxer though ouch.
  • It wasn't badly made it's just that when i bought it the last owners had already bent the forks back already (some kind of frontal impact), so i was a bit wary anyway but the hard landing on the front end just finished it off, have taken old forks off a BMX in my garage and will be spraying them red and fitting them on t'old chopper. :wink:
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Remember on my old Raleigh Hustler a light bracket coming loose when going downhill, car behind reckoned I was pulling away from him at 40mph, went into the front wheel snapped 4 spokes, bent the next 6 before I made like Superman (briefly anyway), luckily I got my head down and landed on my shoulders, that stung a bit for a few days - no helmets back then of course, and only wearing a T - gravel rash indeed! Forks were fine though!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.