sweating! is it good for you or BAD?

pablo.rally
pablo.rally Posts: 6
Hi all

I am finding that now the weather is getting hotter I am sweating more & more during mountain bike trail riding.

Like today my head was dripping like a tap & going into my eyes & have to keep stopping.

Is sweating good for you? what do I need to drink to replace the lost minerals.

I am 49, 13 stone & semi fit, bike 2/3 times a week & all weekends mostly in Sherwood pines.

Do I need help! besides mental! is it as it is sapping my strength? :cry:

Any advice would be a bonus.

Cheers.

Comments

• -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Replace fluids as you go and its not a problem. Isotonic drinks are best but you can just use squash and water with a little salt.

Don't replace fluids and you will start to lose energy and dehydrate if you are out long enough.
  • blablablacksheep
    blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
    i knew a guy who used to sweat like a pig even when jogging, yet he can run 6 mins miles 10 miles easy.

it perfectly normal each person sweats differently depending on their core temp.

just make sure you replace what you sweat. ie drink little and offen.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Thanks guy's, just checking....... :lol:
  • you'd die if you didn't sweat!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I sweat like a whore in church. But the more you sweat, the more calories you're actually burning off! So it's good for you (if you're wanting to lose weight).

Replace the fluids regularly so you don't get dehydrated and you'll be fine. Get some gloves with a soft back so you can wipe the sweat from your eyes too - that may help.
  • I sweat like a pedo in a playground or a fat kid in a pie shop.

Its actually stopped a bit as i've got fitter which is good :)
  • I sweat very little. In turn my face goes bright red.

It's not a good look.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I have hyperhidrosis to add to my list of ailments lol, but tends to be when doing nothing. When exercising is pretty normal.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I sweat more than Lee Evans, it drips off my chin and corrodes the drivetrain :shock:

I think antiperspirants have a lot to do with it. The sweat just finds another way out.
  • haha i'm the same!
    I a rite sweat barsteward. usualy when riding, but I get cold/hot flushes very often that leave me in pools of sweat.... dunno why though.

my body is very heat intolerant :(
  • .blitz
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    my body is very heat intolerant :(
    Yeah I'm the same. I called round a mates house last night and they had the heating on FFS I was melting it must've been 90 degrees...
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    You have to also remember that generally as you get fitter you tend to sweat more but it is less salty.
  • I knew a bloke who went to the doctors because he sweat a lot - doctor said go away and come back if you can't sweat.

I also sweat like a blind lesbian at a fish market, I find it knackers my soft contact lenses.
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Although it could make things worse, tried a buff?

I have one as a headband round my bonce to stop sweat getting in my eyes.

I can ring it out after a couple of hours (yuk!)
  • .blitz
    You have to also remember that generally as you get fitter you tend to sweat more but it is less salty.
    Err..yeah I noticed that too *ahem*
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    I sweat vary badly, when running or riding I always need a hat. I use a buff under my bike helmet works very well.

One thing that get me Is sweating Is supposed to mean your body Is working efficiently and you are healthy, so how come large over weight people brake out In to a sweat just from walking up a flight of stairs.
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • .blitz
    Sarnian wrote:
    so how come large over weight people brake out In to a sweat just from walking up a flight of stairs.
    My bro-in-law has always been a big bloke and he must weigh at least 20 stone. I've known him for years and we've walked up mountains, run races and cycled miles but he doesn't sweat, he never even looks flushed. Neither do his mum & dad or my wife (his sis). It's all in the genes.
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    .blitz wrote:
    Sarnian wrote:
    so how come large over weight people brake out In to a sweat just from walking up a flight of stairs.
    My bro-in-law has always been a big bloke and he must weigh at least 20 stone. I've known him for years and we've walked up mountains, run races and cycled miles but he doesn't sweat, he never even looks flushed. Neither do his mum & dad or my wife (his sis). It's all in the genes.

I meant unhealthy over weight people, but you do have a good point.
    My dad who has never gone over 10st hardly ever sweats I don't think I have ever seen him sweat, and that includes the time's we have worked together doing hard manual work.

It Is a odd one this sweating thing.
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • I knew a bloke who went to the doctors because he sweat a lot - doctor said go away and come back if you can't sweat.

Hunter S Thompson went to his doctor with that issue, in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas he did enjoy a hardcore drug binge though.
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • Just come back from a ride wearing a Buff for the first time under my helmet & it worked as tonight was very hot in Sheffield, thanks everyone for all your reassurance. :wink:

At least I am still alive & kicking :D
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    supersonic wrote:
    I have hyperhidrosis to add to my list of ailments lol, but tends to be when doing nothing. When exercising is pretty normal.

Snap!
    Mine is just from my armpits... probably from nervous tension / anxiety. hated going out in tshirts or shirts cos it would be soaked around my pits within minutes... very embarrassing, and f**ked up my social life.

As ive mentioned in other posts I work in a foundry, so everyone sweats there. not embarrassed there 8)

I use DRICLOR roll on...use it on armpits before bed, wash it off in the morning. used it every other day for a couple of weeks..... effect has been amazing! Dont sweat from my armpits now unless im doing strenuous exercise / work. only have to reapply the roll on once a fortnight now!!!!

I went down to London last weekend to see my sister. saturday was boiling hot, and i could go out in a tshirt!!!! no sweating! yaay!

Maybe my social life will improve a bit now :D

The rest of my sweating is normal, and ive seen really fit people sweating like horses, and people i thought were unfit are dry as a bone.... human body is weird.

The most important thing ive learned is not to fixate on it... i did and it made things worse and made me waste quite a few years of my life worrying, and turning down invitations to social events, dates etc...

When im on my bike i sweat loads, and i dont care, cos im exercising.

Si
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    Just come back from a ride wearing a Buff for the first time under my helmet & it worked as tonight was very hot in Sheffield, thanks everyone for all your reassurance. :wink:

At least I am still alive & kicking :D

Glad you have found a solution :D
    You can concentrate on enjoying your riding now, without worrying 8)

Si
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • Pokerface wrote:
    But the more you sweat, the more calories you're actually burning off! So it's good for you (if you're wanting to lose weight).

Sweating hasn't much relevance to calories expended. Some people sweat profusely just having a w@nk whilst others wouldn't sweat running a marathon. Losing weight through sweating may be okay for a boxer aiming to make the weight before a weigh in but in terms of losing fat it doesn't work.