OLD Langsett Frame strength

Dave Loasby
Dave Loasby Posts: 32
edited March 2017 in Road general
I have my uncles old Langsett frame sat in my Dads shed, i am starting to get back into riding after 20yrs out. i want to build up an old retro bike for training. having given up on a alloy fr carbon forked ride after only 3 months. now my question is how can i get the frame checked out for strength. i'm 100kg+ and as the frame is 60's-70's very tired and in desperate need of a refinish, i want to get it checked before parting with any hard earned.
i'm hoping to get this done to compliment my fathers collection of 'proper' bikes.

Thanks Dave

p.s i'm off down to dads in a short while i will try and get some more info and pics
Former employee of Ray Inkley cycles 1989-1991

ex Lincoln Wheelers 1981-1990 iirc. TT + U12 CX

Comments

• tiredwheels
    tiredwheels Posts: 21
    There is no test you can do for strength but steel frames such your Uncle's old Langsett are very strong and normally have an unlimited life even with heavy riders - I'd suggest you build it up first to see if you like it. You can always then trasfer the kit nto another frame if you don't like it. And if you do like it then you can decide to get it repainted.
  • Dave Loasby
    thanks, i am quite heavy tbh. the frame is fairly rusty, i have previously snapper a seat tube on a vintage paragon with just normal use, (my old man wasn't happy as it was his late dads frame). i'm just worried i may cause damage to the langsett too. my local frame builder has retired now but his son maybe able to look over it.
    i need something as i hate my alloy frame i'm riding now. :(
    if i can't sort the paragon its time to pester my dad for his mercian.
    he's too short for it but owned it for 35 odd years,
    so i can't see that happening. lol
    the paragon definatly needs a refinish, but with half chrome stays and forks, barbour's pole on the seat tube its not going to be cheap.
    i'm liking the idea of using an old Raleigh frame i used for Under 12 CX (25 yrs ago) as a fixie too. but that will stay looking like a 'shitter' so i can use it for work and not worry about my work mates messing with it.

• bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Dave. Check the frame for the following before spenting money.
    Bent tubes , ripples behind the head tubes.Signs of crash damage.
    Give the frame a shake.Can you hear bits moving about inside it.{ie rust}
    Are the seat tube and handle bar stems free.
    Treads on forks and bottom bracket OK .
    Check track on rear forks
    Is it your size?
    bagpuss
  • Dave Loasby
    Yes definatly my size, hasn't got a stem or post fitted atm, bb is still fitted so threads should be good, definatly no crash damage as the frames history is known from new. (my uncle was the only one that didn't like riding)
    just the rust issue i'm not sure on. going to see if Barron cycles can check it over Barry Barron is a retired frame builder, his son Steve now runs the shop but i'm sure Barry would take a look. (Hopefully).
    will get some pics on saturday to show it off. might be able to get pics of Dads Mercian, RRA and Paragon if he'll let me. all frames apart from the RRA and all are 60's 70's.

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    It's gonna cost a lot to get your old frame refurbished and then buy all the old parts.

For the same price you can get a brand new Triban or something which will work better and give you more gears.
    At 100Kg I'm sure you'd appreciate the better range of gears.

Why did you give up on the alloy carbon forked frame ? You've not said ?