Brake hose routing

chorscroft
chorscroft Posts: 254
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Noticed something on my mtb today (Giant XTC)
The rear disk brake hose is not routed through any kind of cable stops but it simply cable tied onto the top tube.
Is this usual and is there any better way to do it?

Thanks Conor

Also another question. When the rear disk brake seized (due to salt from boating) my LBS replaced it with a Giant Deore (original is Giant MPH)
It works fine however it is odd having two differently shaped/positioned levers aswell as the aesthetics being ruined (vain I know)

Is it possible to use deore disk brake levers with Giant MPH calipers?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pictures of how it has been done.

no it is not as they 1 use different fluids and 2 the piston sizes are different.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • chorscroft
    Finally got round to taking some pictures. Sorry for the quality they're just off the phone.

This is how it comes along the top tube, simply cable tied between the gear cable stops and the stop for v brakes.

3538731746_8d5a415585.jpg

And then there is an open hose mount on the seat stay before it enters the caliper.

3538731970_cc93c2631d.jpg

What's the best way to neatly route this?

Cheers

Conor
  • nicklouse
    there should be a plastic "sleeve" that should hold the hose into those clips.

will did out pics. give me 5mins.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse
    img0275.th.jpg
    img0274h.th.jpg
    img0272.th.jpg
  • chorscroft
    I can see how that would work for the open guide on the seatstay but the hose won't fit through the top tube mounts as they're only big enough for a brake inner cable to go through
    Or am I missing a trick here?

Conor
  • nicklouse
    it would go where it is now. of you need a cable to hose adaptor.
  • chorscroft
    Right guess I'll give that a go then.
    Can you give me a link to somewhere I can buy a cable to hose adaptor and some of those plastic sleeves?

Thanks

Conor
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Get some hose clamps. They screw into the cable stop and clamp the hydro cable onto the frame tube.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Magur ... 360009793/
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... odelID=245
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • chris1001
    chris1001 Posts: 58
    img0275.th.jpg

An ancient post, I know, but limited info on the internet. This is exactly what I need for my XTC1. I can't find a LBS that has any or can get them, do you have a source or a part number?

Cheers
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    I used to have pictures of all the different types of hose retension sleeves/ferrules a long, long time ago.

There is a version with an alignment ridge that slides into the slot of the framestop, often found on Specialized bikes, that is a better fit than the one you're looking for.

Anyway, here is a ghetto way of achieving the same outcome using an ordinary 4mm plastic ferrule:

hydraulic_hose_retension_sleeve_01_zps2bbc51b7.jpg
    hydraulic_hose_retension_sleeve_02_zps1934922b.jpg
    hydraulic_hose_retension_sleeve_03_zps39b1cec1.jpg

1. Cut off the tip of a plastic ferrule.
    2. Cut a wedge off the tip of the ferrule so that it tapers for a compression/interference fit.
    3. Cut a slit along the length of the ferrule.
    4. Fit the ferrule onto the hose with the slit against the frame where you won't see it and use a flat bladed screwdriver to push it into place.
    5. If the tip won't start to slide into the framestop then remove the ferrule and cut the wedge a bit sharper and/or slice a sliver off from the slit to make the overall diameter smaller.
    6. Once properly fitted, you should find it very difficult to pull either side of the hose.