Should I change my aftershave?

AlunP
AlunP Posts: 106
A steady, hilly 120K ride in the Snowdonia National Park on a bank holiday Saturday – what could be nicer?

In a six hour ride one expects a few incidents of less than perfect courtesy from one’s fellow road users - for the record

A couple of blaring horns
Two instances of screamed abuse out of windows
And a very fast/noisy motor bike cutting me up from behind for the hell of it (nothing coming the opposite way and I knew nothing about it until it was inches away

So far so normal – ho hum

…and then – some passenger in a van coming the other way decides to throw a (full) drinks bottle at me. It wasn’t a glass one but at a closing speed at 40mph+ I guess it would have hurt if it hadn’t just missed me and burst as it hit the deck spilling contents all over the raod.

Said van was gone in a flash – an open road so no chance of pursuit and alas didn’t get the number.

Should I wear a different brand of aftershave? Stay on a turbo and watch DVDs? Stick to my mountain bike?

Advice please

Comments

• Soreknees
    Soreknees Posts: 68
    Only advice is "Don't let the Barstewards get you down" For all the aggro and even danger, I bet you still enjoyed the ride and you'll still go out again?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That sounds like a thouroughly miserable series of events! Don't let it stop you riding.

You smell lovely too!
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Ah, cycling in Britain. it makes you happy!

Back from a week in Majorca where there were cyclists by the dozen. As long as you were sensible, then drivers gave you room to move and passed courteously. It's the same in France and Italy, just cycling cultures
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Blonde wrote:
    Ah, cycling in Britain. it makes you happy!

Back from a week in Majorca where there were cyclists by the dozen. As long as you were sensible, then drivers gave you room to move and passed courteously. It's the same in France and Italy, just cycling cultures

Just got back from a week in Italy myself and it is a great place to ride. Having said that though, I've never experienced anything quite so bad as that in the OP. Write those people off as idiots and carry on. You can't really do much about other folks being pillocks.
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Blonde, phreak, very jealous!

If only I could get away :cry:

Ahh well. Rainy UK for Chaz then. It's all miles, right?? (Well, Km's if your a euro :wink: )
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    D'oh!

Didn't mean to call anyone a blonde phreak... Sorry you guys! :oops:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    AlunP I think you were just unlucky on the day, I'm always out riding around Snowdonia but I can't say that I've had any of that sort of treatment, apart from the odd car passing within a few inches giving me a fright (it's caravans that are the worst). Try not to let it get you down and just keep riding.