Afan accomodation

shanta
shanta Posts: 278
edited May 2009 in MTB rides
We are thinking of giving Afan a try in a couple of weeks with an overnight stay then Cwm Carn the following day. Can anyone reconmend a MTB friendly hotel we can use in that area?

Cheers

Comments

• rhysduk
    rhysduk Posts: 138
    Both taken from the latest MBUK:

AFAN VESTRY:
    Self contained detached accomodation
    Brand New Conversion
    Sleeps 8 with 2 Baths
    £120 per night
    Next door to Pub!
    www.afanvestry.co.uk

AFAN ARGOED ACCOMODATION:

MTB Friendly
    Groups Catered for
    Bike Lock Up and Washing Facilities
    10mins from M4 / 1hr from Severn Bridge
    Fully Licensed

4 Star WTB w/ Offroad Parking
    www.greenlanterns.co.uk
    Caren on 01639631884

Hope that helps.
    [/b][/u]
    PP Shan & Intense SS2
  • shanta
    Has anyone evrstayed at www.greenlanterns.co.uk?
  • Chitch
    Chitch Posts: 7
    Hi, We have stayed at the Green Lanterns about 6 times over the last few years, the last time was early April 09, it is an excellent B&B, the staff are great, the location is superb, there is a great restraunt on site, a hose is available for bike washing and i think they have a lock up, we usually have a panel van or two which we back up against the building for security, the place is very laid back, we wouldn't go anywhere else.
    Chitch
  • shanta
    Just what i wanted to hear as i have booked to stay on the next bank hols, cheers.
  • shanta
    Chitch

Any nice pubs near Greenlaterns?
  • shanta
    Chitch

Any nice pubs near Greenlaterns?
  • Chitch
    Don't know to be honest, the Green Lanterns has a decent bar in the restraunt with a large conservatory style seated area, we usually have a few beers in there. We don't usuall y get back to the B&B from the trails till 7 o'clock or later so by the time we've showered and eaten we can't be arsed to go far. Neath is only a few miles away, loads of bars but it can get like downtown Baghdad on a Friday or Saturday night. Have you been to Afan before ? Have fun. Chitch
  • Went to Cwmcarn last Saturday from Bristol. Hadn't realised how close it was!

Amazing trail - Twirch, really was some of the most exhilarating riding I've done.

The climb at the start is a killer though! Goes on and on.. well worth the climb once you are at the top though.

Enjoy
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    I just returned from Afan, I stayed at the campsite at Glyncorrwg by Whites Level. I had planned to stay another night then do Cwmcarn the next day but the weather was too bad, full write up here which may be of interest

http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1242677150/
  • shanta
    Chitch,

No, haven't rode any of the welsh trail centres so really looking forward to it, fingers crossed for the weather!!!!!
  • shanta
    Chitch wrote:
    Hi, We have stayed at the Green Lanterns about 6 times over the last few years, the last time was early April 09, it is an excellent B&B, the staff are great, the location is superb, there is a great restraunt on site, a hose is available for bike washing and i think they have a lock up, we usually have a panel van or two which we back up against the building for security, the place is very laid back, we wouldn't go anywhere else.
    Chitch

Check this out:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... ml#REVIEWS

Worried now !
  • Chitch
    Shanta,
    That has never been our experience, it's not the sterile, faceless coould be any room in any town in the UK you get with the likes of holiday inn etc, it is an equestrian centre as well so there are horses, dogs and a tame pig roaming about ! Last time a had trouble getting the shower cool enough. The owners have always helped us we have put we shoes round the log burner in their kitchen / office and used their tumble drier to dry wet clothes. I wish i was going back this weekend. Chitch
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Nad fella, bank holiday weather is gonna be awful, was heading up north but thinking of staying local in south Wales for it now
  • shanta
    I believe there is the VC at Afan park and the Glyncorrwg Mountain Bike centre. Which is it best to use as a base?

Cant seem to find a postcode for Glyncorrwg either!
  • Chitch
    If you are after a postcode for Glyncorrwg look up The Drop Off Cafe, it ha a website, or Skyline cycles the bike shop there. Chitch