Chas Messenger Memorial RR tomorrow 3 May

NervexProf
NervexProf Posts: 4,202
edited May 2009 in Pro race
Plowman Craven Madison Chas Messenger Memorial

Sunday, 3 May 2009; 160 km Road Race, Start 10.30am

A round of the British Cycling Premier Calendar.

Details here: http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... review.asp

RACE DETAILS

The race headquarters will be at Lord Williams’s School, Oxford Road, Thame, OX9 2AQ. The event will be using the Upper School main hall and the changing rooms on the east side of the Thames Leisure Centre. The race will be neutralized as it leaves the headquarters at 10.30am where it will turn left out of the school and right at the roundabout onto the A418. At the next roundabout, turn left and into Long Crendon.

In the village, turn right onto the road in direction of Chearlsey where the circuit is joined. The race will become deneutralised after leaving Long Crendon. The course continues straight on at Chearsley.

At the next crossroads, turn left towards Ashendon. Before Ashendon, turn left towards Dorton and Chilton. At Chilton turn left back towards Long Crendon and continue through Easington and at the T junction in Long Crendon, turn left to complete the circuit.

The race will complete eight laps after passing through the finish line the first time. There are two hill climbs at Chearsley and Dorton - sponsored by AJM Fire Risk Assessment Services; the Hill Climb Competition will commence, at the same time.

There will also be a prize for the first Under 23 rider and most Combative Rider both sponsored by Phil Corley Cycles. The race finish is outside the entrance to Ashfold School, Dorton.
Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I shall be stood on a corner somewhere waving a red flag. :)
  • Bronzie
    Russ Downing takes the win again:
    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... senger.asp

Seriously tough race on a very lumpy circuit and windy too boot - only 27 finishers of the 90 who started.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Bronzie wrote:
    I shall be stood on a corner somewhere waving a red flag. :)

Yeah, and me too!! I was on the 'S' bend coming out of Dorton, just before Ashfold school.

Blimey, they don't half go fast!

Where/who were you? Wished I'd known you were there, I'd have introduced myself. :D
  • Bronzie
    Well, I started off at the S-bends in Easington, but someone realised they didn't have any bodies at the x-roads just out of Chearsley, so I ended up there. I was wearing the black "Livestrong" top and a puzzled frown due to the slightly chaotic nature of the marshals briefing. :)
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Bronzie wrote:
    Well, I started off at the S-bends in Easington, but someone realised they didn't have any bodies at the x-roads just out of Chearsley, so I ended up there. I was wearing the black "Livestrong" top and a puzzled frown due to the slightly chaotic nature of the marshals briefing. :)

Yeah, like the way he didn't give us any maps!. Fortunately we are local (I live in Thame) so knew where he wanted us to go.

I though he despatched four others to the Chearsley cross roads. Sure I heard him say that. :?

I was the oldish, silver haired fellow in the yellow/blue High Wycombe top (navy fleece over the top). Pleasant day, sat in my chair, read The Observer, fairly relaxed, waved my flag a bit. Had a chat with a few very supportive villagers.

PS just realised you mean the cross roads on the top of the ridge above Nether Winchendon. Quite a busy junction. Bit cold and blowy up there?
  • Bronzie
    Yeah, very cold wind - had to hide behind a road sign too keep warm :lol:

Not too busy but we had a laugh at the drivers reactions to being told they were being stopped by a major cycle race from "Oh, cool, we'll get out and watch!" to "I know, I've bloody well been held up by it twice already today". :roll:
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I was on the junction in Chersley with a few of our sat riders, right by the cafe by the prime hill.
    Trouble was 20 mins per lap, back in cafe, another cofee and bacon and egg sanwich so after a few of those cycled to the finish not to eat any more !!
    Rich I rode back with Brian and Pat from your club with John from our ride, it was a bit brisk as time was getting on.
  • Bronzie
    I bet Pat loved that :lol:

At least he didn't get lost on the way home - he was supposed to be marshalling with me but I got a call at 9:30 - he was in Prestwood about 20 miles too far south :x