Newb from Basingstoke area

samp
samp Posts: 6
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
Hello to everyone, Its been about 6 years sinse i last rode but i have just got myself a lovely '08 GT Avalance 2.0 to get back into the swing of things. Does anyone know of any local ride outs happening in my area suitable for a returning rider? Im fairly fit and healthy and used to ride over at rushmoor arena as a teenager but was hoping there is some more local ground to the chineham end of basingstoke to be discovered.

Many thanks :D

Comments

• nby
    nby Posts: 62
    hi mate im in andover and have recently purchased a fury and would also like any info about local trails etc :lol:
    fury 'n' i
  • larrythelathe
    larrythelathe Posts: 143
    i am from tadley there loads of riding to be had.
    the basingstoke council has routes on its web site. theres a loop that has been in on of the mags newbury killer loop. There's pamber forest pamber heath. Also there swinley forest (thee lookout in brackenell) theres a group of people i ride with on a thursday night who ride in different locations give me a bell and you can come along.
    and kingclere and watership down. like i say loads and loads!!!
  • Guys

If you want to come further west then there are some great rides along Wayfarer's Walk to Coombe Hill and further on. Also around Linkenholt just north of Andover.

Check out the Gorrick website for the Hot MTB routes on 7th June starting from Vernham Deane sports field from 8.30am. - I'm down for the 50km route.

I live in Highclere so can also meet up in Kingsclere closer to you....
  • samp
    samp Posts: 6
    Cool! I used to ride at rushmoor arena, is it still open to the public for walking & cycling? Im thinking of going down this sunday. If not i might check out those routes near andover.

Cheers guys :D
  • nby
    sounds good to me lads, let me get some kit first and i'll take you up on the local routes 8)

I will be entering the HOT MTB routes also hoping to do the 50km but I havent even riden the bike yet as I picked up last weekend so not long to get fit :lol:

samp if your interested in a few local rides to get started etc then give me a shout as im up for a bit of travelling and equally a newb!
    fury 'n' i
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    I'm thinking of that HOT 50KM too only thing putting me off is it's the day after I come back off holiday and two weeks sitting by the pool drinking beer is not realy the best preperation for it :)
  • Eranu

I always hire an MTB on holiday! Great way to see the area and get away from the hubub around the pool.

Get fit while on hoilday - what could be better.... :D

If any of you guys do sign up for the HOT MTB ride let me know by email and maybe we could charge around together?

Mike
  • Eranu
    I don't think the Mrs would be too happy with me leaving her with the kids while I go off to explore Spain on a bike :) It is very tempting and maybe when the kids are older it's something I will do.

I will probably still do the 50km ride as I will need it as preparation for the SDW ride I have planned for the following weekend. I'm out with the guys i'm doing the SDW with tonight so will see if they are still up for it too.
  • nby
    i've just signed myself up and i'm hoping to do the 30km

and yeah getting a group together sounds good, dont know if it will stay a group due to different skills and fitness (I have none) but hey! :lol:
    fury 'n' i
  • Eranu
    due to different skills and fitness (I have none) but hey!

I have neither :)
  • nby
    you have a damn nice bike though! puts my fury to shame :oops:
    fury 'n' i
  • Eranu
    It's all about the rider not the bike though :)
  • johnyyy
    johnyyy Posts: 13
    Im from Tadley and if anyone nearby needs a riding partner or a group that can accomodate another rider let me know.... fitness isnt up at moment but am enthusiastic.......looking for weekend rides and some evenings also
  • I'm from Hook and we have some nice runs out here - if you go from Chineam towards mapledurwell you can get on the 5 lanes runs which are excellent! You can then get to Tamworth and towards Alton, which gets even better...

I'd be interested in any group meets for some XC if there's a few of us in the area?
  • nby
    a meet sounds like a good idea as a fair few of us our local , just depends where we go I guess?
    fury 'n' i
  • blakey79
    blakey79 Posts: 11
    Hi Guys

I've recently moved to Basingstoke, and am wanting to get to know the area so would be very interested in a meet.

I've recently unearthed my Carrera Kraken 2007 and have'nt ridden in a wile, apart from today loved it... Down to Upton grey and back....
    Boardman 2009 road
  • hanneyp
    hanneyp Posts: 14
    I'm in Oakridge Basingstoke, and have just got back on my bike to start to get fit and loose my commuter-belly. Gimme a few weeks to get up some fitness back again and I'll be up for some group rides in the area too.

I've mainly been riding out through Carpenters down, morgaston wood area. Anyone got any good tips (or plotted rides) for single track in the area?

Pete
    Diamondback Vectra Pro (2003)
  • Hey guys - I’m in Amazingstoke as well :D

Most of my riding recently has been on the South Downs, but went I get a chance to get out locally i head out either Cliddensden way or Pardown/Oakley. Not too much DH, but plenty of single track through the bridleways. 8)

I’d be up for a meet at some point for sure, I’ll keep an eye out for when/if it happens
  • gsxrian
    gsxrian Posts: 97
    I'm in basingstoke too,I would be up for a group rideout,just got into MTB so fittness isnt great...I'm just by the basingstoke hospital...

been using this site to find some Byway open to all traffic...

http://whereilive.hants.gov.uk/rightsof ... form1.aspx

and done some off these routes.

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/cycling/cyclin ... finder.htm
    stumpjumper FSR comp 2008
    trek 1.5 2010
    Orbea Alma H70