Hollowtech II Chainsets vs New Old

carl_p
carl_p Posts: 989
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
I'm in the process of building up a steel frame and need to get the chainset and BB next. I've decided to go the Shimano route.

There are some quite good geals on older non Hollowtech Chainsets out there but I'm wondering if the more up to date version is so much better? Also, the square taper Campag BB I've just removed was a bugger to get out so I'm immediately thinking a similar design Shimano BB will be difficult to install. HTII just by design looks easier to install and presumably is lighter (and more flimsy?!).

Is Hollowtech II so much better, or worse? Are the BBs potentially easier to install? I want the most cost effective solution and ideally a DIY installation.

Just wondered if anyone has any views on the reliability, performance and installtion of HTII Chainsets/BBs.

Thanks as always.
Specialized Venge S Works
Cannondale Synapse
Enigma Etape
Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I got an Ultegra HT II chainset fitted to my 1997 531 steel Dawes Audax. The outboard bearings made the whole bottom bracket area noticeably stiffer under acceleration and I reckon the benefit is well worth having. I would say it is definitely not more flimsy, in fact the reverse.

The LBS installed it after facing the bottom bracket shell (as the two bearings are separate, this is supposed to be essential to ensure they are parallel, however there are probably many users that have not done this). Facing costs about £15 at the LBS (tools to DIY cost £100's).

The LBS fitted it wrong because they were used to the spacers for mtb setups which differs to road versions - I had to take in the shimano instructions for them! But fitting is fairly simple.

Longevity/reliability - I have just developed a clicking after 3 years of moderate use, don't know if it is a fault though, I found one of the bolts holding the non-drive side crank was loose, so I think the bearings just need to be re-tensioned, getting the HT2 tools today (X-Tools combined tool for about £10 from CRC).

So, HT2 gets my vote!
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    HT2 is stiffer, and if you fit it properly, has decent reliability.

In the future we'll all be BB30, but HT2 is a reasonable intermediate solution

If you want fit-and-forget then square taper can last for a very long time.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer