New UCI President

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited May 2009 in Pro race
OK, your the new UCI president, it's day one, your sitting in your office in Aigle, what are you going to do to eliminate doping from cycling?

Maybe you don't think the UCI president is the best placed person to achieve this, maybe you need to be the new Christian Prudhomme or Johan Bruyneel?

Maybe you can't eliminate it? I don't know. But interested in what people think would be a good workable solution.

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    1) Stop the fighting with WADA and AFLD. Get WADA support and backing
    2) Move "health check" screening to on the start line. Or have a system where riders enter a pen and cannot exit. Any tests will be performed here. Any suspect values will be a no start and additional testing
    3) Photography of sites on body which can be used for transfusions
    4) Incentives for teams to hire riders who've been bust but spoken out or provided information. (Omerta busting measures)
    5) Investigations into management with any positive or suspected case.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    iainf72 wrote:
    2) Move "health check" screening to on the start line. Or have a system where riders enter a pen and cannot exit. Any tests will be performed here. Any suspect values will be a no start and additional testing
    4) Incentives for teams to hire riders who've been bust but spoken out or provided information. (Omerta busting measures)

Spot on.

Also put some effort into the leaking of doping results until they are confirmed. Any whining and PRing treat as bringing the sport into disrepute and ban for a year anyway. Let it happen in the hearing only.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    And if I had more power, I'd do most of the above except

- Drug testing would be done by a seperate agency. An operational part of WADA. Across all sports.
    - Transparancy from WADA on lab certification. The only time I've seen a lab removed from the list was when there were commercial issues. Lax following of the protocols must be eliminated
    - A & B samples tested in different labs
    - Banning independent monitoring or "management"
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    iainf72 wrote:

1. Reciprocal agreements with all national testing agencies for bilateral sharing of testing information to reduce duplication of effort and improve available data is kind of essential
    2. Logistically this seems difficult to do. How about UCI-appointed team doctors instead who take samples at breakfast time and return results as signed-off "fit to race". Strict no contact rule from this point to start enforced by chaperones/doctors.
    3. No problem with that but it could be very open to interpretation
    4. My cynicism suggests that there'd be an awful lot of crying wolf to reduce penalties. What happens when it turns out they've sold you a lemon?
    5. Totally agree.
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    lifetime ban from events at which doping was caught. no exceptions.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Introduce a licensing system for team managers, soigneurs, doctors etc. so that if any of them are implicated in doping cases, they are banned from having anything to do with the sport. Probably impossible to enforce it, but it annoys me that it's always the riders alone that carry the can.