Buying to support 6 riders

jellikins
jellikins Posts: 153
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
If you were supporting 6 riders to do the Raid in JUne, what spaers would you take to cover likely breaks and faults etc.

All on Shimano, initial list looks like this.

Please can I have some help and advice on what is missing and needed and the quanitities please.

So far we have.................

1 complete spare bike with shimano set and wheels.

4 Shimano spare wheels (not including the 2 on the spare bike)

6 x 10 speed road bike Chains

30 Inner tubes

Tyres x 12

24 x Spare sets of brake blocks

3 x rear brake cables

3 x rear gear cables

12 spokes for rear and front wheel

Plastic tyre levers

Large tube of grease

Spoke key

Spare chain links

Liquid chain lube (bottle not aerosol)

Track Pump x 2

Multi tools

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    TBH I think you're over-egging it in terms of quantities - or is it a demolition derby? I whole bike? Does everyone ride the same size? 6 wheels? - the roads in the Pyrennees are probably better than the UK - one spare pair over the extra bike would be OK. 6 chains? 1 broken chain would be unlucky- 2 is enough. You'll need a chain splitter tool , some cable cutters and a workstand too. A bucket, sponge and cleaning materials - wipes are quick and effective. I think you could half your quantities safely - making sure the bikes are tip-top before you leave will save considerable effort when you get there.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Massively over on the parts if you ask me !

What is it 700km ? Thats 400+ miles - so not inconsiderable - but what kind of brake blocks would wear out in 400miles ?

Start off with decent bikes and I cant see that you'd have many things going wrong. I presume your guys are doing decent mileage so ask them what they've gone through in the last month.

I've never snapped a brake or gear lever in decades of cycling - OK - a couple of chains, some spokes, tubes and tyres are useful, but really - if you need that amount of spares - the bikes werent fit at the start.

Take a couple of tyres, a dozen inner tubes, and some odds and sods, but really = you dont need as much as you think.

Have fun.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    :shock: oh my!

Take some baby wipes to clean the bikes up at the end of each day...
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    I would be happier with 6 gear/brake cables rather than 3

deraileurs are pretty fragile so i would take a couple of spares, front and rear. Also a spare deraileur hanger for each frame

spare pedal cleats
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Spare jerseys and shorts too in case of falls and consequent ruination of said articles. And helmets come to think of it.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Spare mech hangers
    Couple of rolls of bar tape (in case gets ripped in a minor crash)
    Couple of rolls of rim tape (in case you need to change spokes or knacker it changing tubes)
    Spare shoe cleats (managed to crack one of my SPD-SLs walking about)
    Degreaser to help with maintenance
    Spare cassette or two maybe if anticpitaing changing chains