Etape Caledonia - Schiehallion climb

Floodcp
Floodcp Posts: 190
It appears that the Schiehallion climb is the main event on the etape Caledonia but can anyone tell me more about it.

How Long?
How steep?

Are there any other climbs of note?

By the way I am not panicing (honest) just would rather know what to expect.

Thanks
Flood

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Floodcp wrote:
    It appears that the Schiehallion climb is the main event on the etape Caledonia but can anyone tell me more about it.

How Long?
    How steep?

Are there any other climbs of note?

By the way I am not panicing (honest) just would rather know what to expect.

Thanks
    Flood

No, its not so bad...around 5kms long?...a very nice gradient where a nice cadence can be adopted....its a stunning climb and the descent is wonderful!...the view down towards Loch tay/Kenmore etc is outstanding...dont worry about it...its more of an 'enjoyable' climb than a lung buster...
  • scapaslow
    scapaslow Posts: 305
    I did the Etape Caledonia route about a month ago to see what it was like, as my brother is entering and wanted a recce.

There are 3 climbs: Queens View early on which is easy as you are fresh, then its more or less dead flat until Schiehallion at about 40/45 miles in. Here there is initially a couple of short and fairly steep ramps (maybe 12%?) for maybe 3/4 to 1K then its a fast big ring climb for the rest (maybe another 2 to 3K). The steep ramps came as a bit of a shock after such a long period of flat riding where the tendency is to put down the gas. However, they are quickly over. After Schiehallion you can really go for it - a great descent followed by a long flat stretch along the Tay.
    The hardest bit IMO is the last 6/7 miles or so into Pitlochry where there are a couple of very steep sections that come when you are tiring and used to the flat. Again they are pretty short.

So really nothing to worry about - just save a bit for the final stretch. It's a very nice route and very fast- not really one for climbers. Hugely scenic. I really enjoyed it and i'm sure you will too.