Raid Pyraneen Advice needed please!!!

jellikins
jellikins Posts: 153
If you were supporting 6 riders to do the Raid in JUne, what spaers would you take to cover likely breaks and faults etc.

All on Shimano, initial list looks like this.

Please can I have some help and advice on what is missing and needed and the quanitities please.

So far we have.................

1 complete spare bike with shimano set and wheels.

4 Shimano spare wheels (not including the 2 on the spare bike)

6 x 10 speed road bike Chains

30 Inner tubes

Tyres x 12

24 x Spare sets of brake blocks

3 x rear brake cables

3 x rear gear cables

12 spokes for rear and front wheel

Plastic tyre levers

Large tube of grease

Spoke key

Spare chain links

Liquid chain lube (bottle not aerosol)

Track Pump x 2

Multi tools

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Sounds like too much, after all there are lots of good bike shops in the Pyrenees, you should be ok with more basics and a list of bike shops along the route.

Remember to pack warm clothes as well since the mountains can often be wet and snowy even in June.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Blimey. we had much less than that for 45 riders. One bike, a set of wheels, a couple of tyres and some tubes should be enough. The bikes SHOULD have been sorted before the ride and all should be carrying tubes, multitool and spare link. If they need any more they need there a*ses kicking. If you plan for everything you would be carrying a spare bike for each rider. A properly maintained bike should be able to do 410 miles without breaking. I am still on the same brake blocks that were new for my 2006 Raid.
    Extra clothes and food are more important.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Miscellaneous nuts and bolts

It's not that rare that a seat post clamp or a bolt at the head of the seatpost fails

no point in having spare spokes if you don't have a chain whip/cassette lockring tool

Pedal spanners might be a good idea too

6 chains and 30 inner tubes sounds a bit OTT
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    A few bolts for sure. Seat post saddle clamp bolt is probably the most likely one to fail.
    Spokes, well are you all using the same length or how many different sizes do you take. If you can not make the wheel ridable or fit one of the spare ones then stick the rider on the spare bike and head for the nearest bike shop (you have of course researched this info beforehand). I have assumed that a fairly good tool kit will be carried.
    Proper maintainance before hand should mean you have only accident damage to contend with.
  • louismichaels
    louismichaels Posts: 118
    Sounds very OTT.
    I can email you my kit list if you like. I've done the Raid Pyreneen 4 times, but the long route rather than the shorter one, and without car support- so we had to carry everything in our panniers.

From my experience, as long as your bikes are very well prepped before your trip, the most likely place for them to be damaged is in transit