onza porcupines .......

nik young
nik young Posts: 257
edited October 2010 in MTB general
when i was a youth i used to run onza porcupines(white ones) and think they where amazing so the other night whilst looking on eBay i saw a pair of porcs for £16.99 so i bought them,today they arrived and i stuck them on my rims still using my Stan's tubeless conversion kit and believe it or not they when straight on no problems

101_1178.jpg
101_1179.jpg

going to give them a go over the weekend to see if they are still any good :lol: so im expecting loads of sliding and falling off lol

Comments

• hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    I had Onza bar ends and purple Onza grips that had little raised porcupine logos all over them. I thought they were called Onza porcupines. Now I'm not so sure what they were called :?
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think there was a pedal too.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Porcs are absolutely top tyres!! About time they brought them back!!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • nik young
    all i can remember about the white ones was they wore out just by looking at them they where that soft :lol: these seem to be about as soft as the maxxis high roller 62a they replaced

just been looking on the net and found they made dan/dave tyres,seatpost,grips,chainrings brakes and bar ends

now i wish i had saved a few pairs of white ones as a pair fetched £150 on ebay
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    supersonic wrote:

Onza HOs, clipless with an elastomer as the spring force, 3 different elastomers. Still got a cleat at home but no pedals :?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • I had Onza bar ends and purple Onza grips that had little raised porcupine logos all over them. I thought they were called Onza porcupines. Now I'm not so sure what they were called :?

They were called porcupaws mate I had them as well - proper old school these new kids wont have a clue what were going on about ha ha !! :lol:
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    I had porcupaws - lovely.

Picked up four kevlar porcs for a tenner a little while back (sorry Nic)! - two are still in the boxes - sadly all black though!
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Nik

Just out of curiosity, what width are they supposed to be? How wide do they actually come up compared to say a High Roller?

It's over 20 years since I last saw one in the flesh and your memory starts to go after a bit... :shock:
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • I dunno dave but i remember thinking 2.10 was massive as a young burner ha ha !!!
  • FSR Si
    FSR Si Posts: 147
    bet you wish you still had some white porc's as a NOS pair recently sold on Ebay for £250 :shock:
    My Rides......91 GT Talera SingleSpeed, 97 Klein pulse race, 2010 Boardman HT Pro
  • I had a set of porcs on my first proper MTB. I may still have them lurking somewhere. Mine had the 'biscuit' coloured side walls. I recently un-earthed an old Ritchey Z Max too!
  • nik young
    dave_hill wrote:
    Nik

Just out of curiosity, what width are they supposed to be? How wide do they actually come up compared to say a High Roller?

It's over 20 years since I last saw one in the flesh and your memory starts to go after a bit... :shock:

they say on the side wall 2.1 and they seem a good 2.1 not like the maxxis high roller which look a very skinny 2.1,didnt get to ride them today i was using anouther new set of tyres (continetal race kings) but they will be on tomorrow :wink:
  • Thermo1
    Thermo1 Posts: 75
    supersonic wrote:

Yeah and they were rubbish. They used elastomers where most SPDs use coil springs.
  • Dark Lord
    Dark Lord Posts: 1,469
    how did you get on with the tyres..
  • I had Onza bar ends and purple Onza grips that had little raised porcupine logos all over them. I thought they were called Onza porcupines. Now I'm not so sure what they were called :?

They were called porcupaws mate I had them as well - proper old school these new kids wont have a clue what were going on about ha ha !! :lol:

I also had a set of porcupaws in purple which i've just had to replace due to being worn out & the rubber had deteriorated after all this time :(
    For the younger ones among you these are the grips
    SuntourXCLTD003.jpg
    1991 Kona Cinder Cone in Cinder Gold
    www.borders4x4club.co.uk
  • Dark Lord
    Dark Lord Posts: 1,469
    ye i had a set, classics now,
    still run onza barends today on my factory mtn cycle
    p4pb5247755.jpg
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    I had Onza bar ends and purple Onza grips that had little raised porcupine logos all over them. I thought they were called Onza porcupines. Now I'm not so sure what they were called :?

Actually, a new kid does have an idea about them - On my 1991 Specialized Hardrock, that is slightly older than me :wink: They are horrible grips though, hard, slippery, but they are yellow :D

4510879363_4342fc5ed3_z.jpg

4510877041_08346deb62_z.jpg
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Sorry kiddo - They're Onza "Ules" not porcipaws!
  • Oh and just in case anyones interested, I'm sure they've started selling porcipaws again on Ebay, either wiggle or wooly hat shop I think :D
  • Dan_xz
    Dan_xz Posts: 130
    I remember I used to have callouses at the base of each finger from riding porcupaws without gloves.

Aren't the Porcupines in the original post the recent reissue ones? I remember when the local woods was covered in little dots all over any soft ground! Great times.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    I know its very different... but I have a 07 Onza Trials bike... and the pedals and grips are pretty much the same as the original "porcipaws" grips, the pedals are the same (so far as I can tell) as the original Onza bearcage pedals.

Awsome.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • billysan
    billysan Posts: 575
    Onza Ules are the best grips ever IMO. Ive been stock piling them when they occasionally pop up on ebay as NOS ones will run out sometime. I want enough to cover the remainder of my MTB career!